Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 08-13-2003, 11:03 AM   #61
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: This should be worth a good flame fest.

Life without dipshyt is good. Notice how the supposed "flame fest" didn't occur without him? Funny how that happened. I know you have my e-mail address. Let me know where you are going to be and we can hook up somewhere. We can nail the details as it gets closer.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2003, 11:06 AM   #62
grover750
Founding Member

Default CB750F..

Could you let me know what speeds your CB750F couldn't be ridden at? Unless there was big changes (and I don't think there was) in the minor redesign between '76 and '77, I'm not aware of a vibration in that bike (I've put over 30k on my '77 CB 750F).

Tooth-filling loosening? Come on! Unless you're talking about the very high frequency vibration? All you need for that is aftermarket grips (which I don't have) or good gloves (which I do). The tips of my fingers are slightly numb after about 90 miles. Big deal. I have plenty of fillings, they're all doing just fine. I get the feeling you regret getting rid of your CB, and are trying to make yourself feel better about getting rid of it.

This should take care of your regrets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ategory=67 08

Not only does my 750 not shake, but I routinely smoked my brother in law on his 1200 sportster (I think it was a '96, with aftermarket pipes).

-grover750 (president of the cb750 anti-defamation league)
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:18 AM   #63
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

I've ridden a few Sportsters, friends bikes. After a few miles I'm always ready to switch back. Too damn much vibration for me. Vibration is subjective though, with different frequencies annoying different people. Big singles can vibrate a lot, but I like them. Big Twin rigid mount Harleys bother me less than Sportsters.

That said, I look forward to trying a rubber mount Sporty.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:29 AM   #64
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Embargo? What embargo?

So has this site run afoul of the embargo like MCN did with the VRod last year?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:48 AM   #65
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: CB750F..

I had a honeybee yellow CB750F that would vibrate so irritatingly at around 65MH that I would either travel at 60 (dangerously slow on LA freeways) or over 70 (and risk a ticket).

Seriously, it was so bad that my wife on the back would ask me to go faster or slower as well. Even though my shovelhead had more nominal vibration, I could put 300-400 miles per day on it without any undue effect. The same amount of time on my CB750 would leave my hands and feet in a nasty tingle for quite some time. I balanced the carbs and kept the valves in tolerance regularly, but nothing would cure that horrible buzz.

I know other people who have had bad vibration problems on CB750s. I traded the 750 for a CB900 that had a rubber mounted engine that pretty much solved the problem.

Hey, don't get offended. The worst vibro-rides I ever had were long freeway drones on Brit 650 twins. The Honda was silky smooth comparatively. I just had to stay out of the 65 mph (and also around 90mph) speed range.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:50 PM   #66
lesmesa
Founding Member

I'm with you, next hog: old shovel. P*ss on their whole Preperation HD ballgame.
lesmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 01:14 PM   #67
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: where's waldo

Where did he go?

Now that you mention it this has been pretty tame
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 01:30 PM   #68
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Design a bike?

Well yeah, I did.

When I built my 80" shovelhead the only place to get parts was stock HD, Jammer catalog or make it yourself.

I started with a spray-canned '57 straight bar frame on my garage floor and ended up with a fine looking chop that could run away and hide from the "new" 5 spd. evolution FXR's and most Japanese bikes of that time.

Not quite rocket science, but still fun.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:31 PM   #69
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Uh oh

I hope he don't take this ***** seriously
Old 08-13-2003, 01:53 PM   #70
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: frequency

I find high frequency 4 cyl. vibration is much more annoying than low frequency twin vibs.

the worst one I had was my '85 K100RS, it put alot of weight on my palms and the tingle would have my hands numb in no time to where I couldn't feel the controls.

I cured it somewhat with bars off a K100 C, hard foam grips and bird-shot, never really went away though.

My cast iron XLH was pretty smooth until the primary chain wore out, then I just replaced it and it was fine.

I could never understand what people were talking about, as long as you kept the timing, points and carb set right it was smooth as silk.