Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 08-13-2003, 10:43 AM   #51
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re:(cough)

Yeah, well, be careful. If you keep up this sort of logic you might end up celebrating the 102nd anniversary of Triumph's Charter next.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2003, 10:44 AM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Oh Yeah?

Knock it off. You're going to ruin the fun we're having with Sarnali.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:50 AM   #53
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re:(cough)

I was wondering what happened to all that Suzuki charter fanfare. And how about the wild bash for Yamaha's XS650 anniversary?

Woooooooooo hooooooooo!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:51 AM   #54
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: This should be worth a good flame fest.

I like Sportsters but Harley has been going the wrong way with them. The 883's are slower than the old 60's ironhead 883's were. The 883's are way slower than the XL 1000cc series that they replaced.

Now they are also heavier than the XL 1000cc bikes as well.

Not an attractive "improvement".
Old 08-13-2003, 10:54 AM   #55
NHBandit69
Founding Member

Default My Sportster Experience

I loved my 1200 while I had it, but it felt like it wanted to fly apart on the highway and the frame was just too small for riding comfortably 2-up.

I'm eagerly awaiting the '04 models, though. Rubber mounting should take care of the vibrations, and if the wife wants to come with me, we have two other bikes now that she's comfortable on. I never had a problem with the handling or the overall fun factor of my Sporty, and while it's not anyone's idea of a canyon-carver or sportbike, I still think of it as the "un-cruiser".
NHBandit69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:56 AM   #56
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Maybe they'll put a full fairing on it and bags and make it a mini-geezer glide.

You missin' KPaul yet? I didn't think so.

We've got to communicate prior to my journey across the country so we can down a beer or two. I'll be rolling out of San Diego on August 24th.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:06 AM   #57
seruzawa
The Toad

None of these people has ever really dealt with mtorcycle vibration. Harley's vibrate, sure, but even my 81 FXEF never put out the tooth-filling loosening vibration that my 76 CB750F did. In fact there were speeds that you simply could not ride the Honda at. Inline-4 vibration can be amongst the most irritating. This is masked these days with rubber mounting and counterbalancers, just like with the V-Twins.

If you want vibration, just take a ride on a circa 60's Triumph Daytona 500. Or a Norton Atlas. Things would literally fall off the bike. Safety wiring was a necessity on many of those old Britbikes back then.

Anyhow, Sportsters are a load of fun. And you can do a lot of things to them fairly cheaply that really pep them up. I had an XLX-61 that I'd had flowbenched plus some exhausts and S&S carb. It would tear out of the hole and do the coolest powershift wheelies on shifting into second. Lots of snooty inline-4 owners got their hats handed to them on the stoplight Grand Prix back then.

Old 08-13-2003, 11:19 AM   #58
runner00
Founding Member

Thats right...why didn't i think of that.

No problem. I like the look of the 2003's better

anyway.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:21 AM   #59
Grover
Founding Member

Have you guys ever designed a motorcycle? Do you have any clue about using the engine as a stressed member? Do you understand how Harley's engine isolation system works? Obviously not. A 50lb. increase in overall mass when you've removed the 100+ lbs of stressed engine from the chassis stiffness equation aint so bad. Think it over.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:25 AM   #60
runner00
Founding Member

Yes thats right, msrp. And those are good points. I checked out the info on the 2004 and the functional changes are great but I prefer the look of the 2003 883c. So I guess there really is no problem here. Thanks for the advice.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote