Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-17-2003, 07:50 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: H-D News

Of even more interest is the fact that HDs continue to sell despite the slow economy. BMW, Big4, Ducati.. all are giving huge incentives in order to move their units that are gathering dust.

Who'da ever thunk. I never hated Harleys but I used to be one of those guys who thought that HD would go bellyup "soon". How wrong I was.

I'll add that to my other predictions that have worked so well for me. I mean look what a successful stock trader I am (cough cough). I'm sure my ship is coming in any day now.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2003, 07:54 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Perhaps. But a lot of those sales of HD apparel, etc. are to non-riders. It's part of the badboy image that attracts the wannabees. They can wear their Harley jackets and pretend they are tough.

I don't see those people flocking to buy Honda(tm) Genuine Apparel. There's no way the "nicest people" company is going to pull that buying public away from HD.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:55 AM   #23
K1200LTE
Registered Member

No training on valve adjustments yet...hmm...let's see, given the ergos on the VROD, the first unit to reach 10,000 miles should occurr on July 14th, 2008 or so. Plenty of time to teach the techs all they need to know.
K1200LTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:01 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

I wouldn't dare! Why do you think that the biggest single selling vehicle in America is the Ford F-150? Why are infommercials so successful? Why does that boring stupid venue NASCAR keep going on year after year? Why can shows like "Nash Bridges", "Walker Texas Ranger" and "American Gladiators" survive on and on ad infinitum, ad nauseum? Why is the WWF a multi-billion dollar operation?

All hail the buying power of the redneck!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:15 AM   #25
SmokeU
Registered Member

My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:31 AM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

If I'd bought a hundred shares of stock when I bought my Low Rider the bike would have been free!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:42 AM   #27
sarnali
Founding Member

God no kidding, When Vaughn Beals and co. bought HD back they were just about giving them away. Missed the boat on that one big time.

Anyway, Harleys are oil-leaky junk, they'll be out of business by this time next year, I'll do you all a favour and take them off your hands before you lose any more money (no need to thank me)
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:01 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

Very true, look at all the junk you can that says HD on it. Every idjit in the world that wants to look bad-azz quits shaving for a day or two and wears a Harley doo-rag.

You can go to Wal*Mart and buy Harley branded pillows and throws, 90% of the motorcycle related books or trinkets say Harley(tm) on them.

One of the things I like about Triumph and Ducati is they have a good catalog of riding gear and other accessories. That kind of stuff allows you to show a little long term pride in your ride. Yamaha's on the right track, though over to top as usual.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:09 AM   #29
Grover
Founding Member

It doesn't have the Buell engine, and although I can't say for sure, I've got a hunch the XL motor is cheaper to produce than the XB.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:09 AM   #30
KPaulCook
Banned

Default I am happy camper

As a stockholder I am really happy. Good to see Harley updating the Sportster line. For us Gen Xers who have growing families, etc and only have $10,000 (Wife's allowance for my hobby) to spend on motorcyle updating the lower end bikes makes sense in order to add new customers. It would be interesting to see sales per model. Adding another V-Rod bike is cool too.

My theory about Gen Xers not wanting cruisers seems to under fire from these numbers. The increase in sales can't all be coming from boomers. Recently I had a friend, fellow Xer, trade his ZX-12 in for a Road King. He says he enjoys riding again and his wife likes riding on the back of the King. He kids me about the only way to have fun on a ZX-12 is illegal or on a track twice a year.

H-D stock has been a great investment.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote