Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 05-20-2003, 09:18 AM   #1
sjriott
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley noise article

"Harley-Davidson makes lousy motorcycles and great Harley-Davidsons," Schilling wrote. "And since they're in the Harley-Davidson business and not the motorcycle business that's exactly what they should be doing."

It's all been said in the article.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2003, 09:36 AM   #2
erikthered
Founding Member

Funny, they seem to find about 300,000 buyers a year these days for their lousy motorcycles. Same crap, different source. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Someone else will. Maybe they DO have redeming qualities that some people don't understand or appreciate. You'll notice that more SUV's and Trucks are sold than ever before as well. Similar analogy from Sport Bike to Hog, more people like the Hog because of it's feel, and don't need a zillion horsepower, nor could they use it. Most people can't drag a knee or do a 4 wheel drift for that matter, and a Harley is all they need for a thrill after driving the Suburban/Gigantor/Humvee home. Would you rather that type of rider on a GSXR-1000? Me neither.

While I don't think the article means to sound that way, it's more sour grapes from someone who doesn't understand a Harley's attraction, and therefore can't grasp H-D's success. There's nothing uglier than jealousy.
erikthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
sarnali
Founding Member

The artical about Sonney Bargers book was more interesting than the Harley pipe artical. I guess I'll toss the first rock by saying they should outlaw "compettition only pipes" for bikes that obviousley aren't going to be racing.... "uh, yes officer, I race this Heritage softtail in the formula extreme class at Fontana".. puhleese! The only thing loud-ass pipes do besides make your bike run like shiit is ***** off everyone around thats not a Harley or "metric cruiser' fan,, Hell I've been around bikes all my life, I seriousley love motorcycles. But it's annoying as hell to hear some gutless turd blasting everyone's eardrums because he thinks "real motorcycles should be heard 5 miles away" ****in' get a clue, you don't need to make alot of noise to go fast, learn how to ride the god damn thing.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
ho0fart3d
Founding Member

You have to pay to read the whole article? No thanks. Opinions on this board are biased. The majority of Americans think loud Harley's sound badass. And they don't care what you think.
ho0fart3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:13 AM   #5
rsheidler
Founding Member

Of course, as Michelle pointed out in her article, Schilling wrote that some 20 years ago and Harleys are much better motorcycles than they used to be.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
hawkrider
Founding Member

I could not agree more. The loud pipe crowd tend to be cut from the same piece of ****. You would think at some point the sound would be too much for the rider.

There is no question this is childish behavior based on "look at me". If they only knew that most people find them annoying and pathetic.

Last summer I qustioned a guy with open pipes on his very old POS Harley: Why so loud? "If you have to ask you won't get it." I laughed in his face and said, "I am sure you are right." And he was, I don't get it.
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:18 AM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Don't have to pay anything

No, you just have to click through the advert for Salon Personals to get the free one day membership and see the article.

I would venture a guess that while "the majority of Americans [may] think loud Harley's sound badass," they also find them, and all other excessively loud motorcycles, extremely annoying.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:19 AM   #8
piinob
Founding Member

I like the sound of a V-Twin engine, and HD factory pipes are really lame. But most of the aftermarket pipes I have heard are entirely too loud. They will, eventually, cause the Motorcycle world a lot of problems.
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:39 AM   #9
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't have to pay anything

I have to pay in time. Recall that Time = money.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:01 AM   #10
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

I guess it really doesn't need to be said, but here goes.

There are alot of excessive loud pipe Ducs and Kawi's out there also.

I don't mind ppl opening up the sound a little. I have done it myself. But geeezzzzzz.
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote