Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 05-20-2003, 11:02 AM   #11
runner00
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley noise article

how many times are we going to go through this......you keep up nonesense like this and my subscription will not be renewed.....who cares....you are boring me.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2003, 11:11 AM   #12
runner00
Founding Member

your supposed to be entertaining me..not yourself...jerkoff
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:16 AM   #13
Velociraptor
Registered Member

One of the loudest bikes at a dyno day last weekend was a Kawasaki metric cruiser. I though it at least was some monster built motor. But no. I made 62 hp. The only thing it did well was make noise!
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #14
SmokeU
Registered Member

Hhhmmm, much anger in this one I sense.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #15
Tigercub
Founding Member

OK, I bit. Here's my 2 cents. I think Harleys are quaint motorbikes and if they weren't Harley Davidsons a few people would still own one. Why they're so popular - I don't know?

Why I own one is because they are quaint, easy to ride, rumble wonderfully down the highway - not serious bikes, just fun. The posers with their uniforms and loud pipes take their HDs way too seriously. Them, I don't get.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:37 PM   #16
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Hear, hear! I own a Harley, but to me, it's a motorcycle, not a religion, as it seems to be for way too many people (but I guess you and I are in the minority, TC). It's old-fashioned, and that's part of what makes it fun to ride. And it's relaxing. On a sport bike, I'm often frustrated that traffic or prudence won't let me go faster (hmm, I'll have to have a talk with Prudence). On the HD, who cares? It feels faster than it is, anyway.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:19 PM   #17
ho0fart3d
Founding Member

good point. if you can have fun, you're happy. who cares what other people think.
ho0fart3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:24 PM   #18
lesmesa
Founding Member

Exactly, Tigercub. I'm a Harley owner, not a "Harley Guy" - no retail fraternal uniform made in China, no midlife tatoo crisis, no compulsive 4 hour cleaning ritual after a 5 mile ride between the taverns. . . . gimme the open road, I'll wash it when I'm damn good & ready, and I ride sober, thank you. I like them as an authentic POMH (motorcycle history), an antique with a warranty, just for fun . . . . . and the sound . . . the sweet cadence of a twin a mile or two off down old County B . . . just before sunset as I sip a Knob Creek on the deck . . . right up there with a distant train whistle or a dog barking in the distance . . . . . . one of the sounds of our ancestral homeland, like it or not. My other bike is an Aprilia Tuono R, also just for fun. Equal miles, and lots of 'em. The moral of the story: There are many, many different kinds of fun in the smorgasbord of life, and lucky is the man with a heart and mind that's open to all of them. But then again, as my friend Mulch sez: "I don't do Chub"
lesmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:44 PM   #19
rsheidler
Founding Member

Agree -- my Duc is probably as loud as any Harley out on the street -- on the other hand, I seldom ride it in any populated areas, and when I do, I am very careful with the throttle.

I like the sound of loud pipes personally (at least within reason), but not when I am trying to sleep, listen to music or carry on a conversation (of course, when my wife is nagging me, a loud bike just outside is a welcome relief!

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 02:03 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Salon continues its unbroken record of posting cr@p.