Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Harley Financial News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/1847-harley-financial-news.html)

longride 05-14-2003 09:24 AM

It doesn't matter Sir

You mean next year on, not only. They did that because Honda would then run their V-FIVE or possibly a V-SIX and stomp everyone into the ground. You still haven't answered a simple question.

Why are the 5 cylinder and 6 cylinder bikes being restricted more than a 4?

Just answer that question.

KPaulCook 05-14-2003 09:37 AM

Re: Honda quickly decided against a single or twin due to their lower performance

Never said I restricted my love to just inline 4s. Only said Twins will die in racing.

KPaulCook 05-14-2003 09:41 AM

Get back to the subject Sir. WSB 1000 4s have restrictor plates AMA 4s don't

You are changing the subject. You said that the GSXR-1000 was getting beat in WSB by superior machinery i.e. Ducat V-Twins. I pointed out that only this year are the 4s singled out with a disadvantage i..e restrictor plate. There are no restrictor plates in AMA Superbike.

longride 05-14-2003 10:13 AM

The subject was inline fours (your favorite)

If they have no restrictor plates at all the GSXR 1000 would be history. It would quickly be replaced and outclassed by the Honda VEEEEEE-Five. Simply put, you said over and over that the inline four is THE superior design in motorcycle racing. Sorry, but that was not and is not true. The truly superior designs were outlawed many years ago when Honda had 6 cylinder 250's. I could easily see a V-six or even possibly a V-eight dominating today if there are no restrictions. Four is as bad as two when it comes to racing. More is better and that's a fact. The GSXR is just the best of a design the Japanese have thrown their whole weight of technology behind. Given the same amount of dollars spent, many other designs and configurations would do as well if not better. If the restrictor plates bother you so much then why have any rules at all for anything? Lets do an "anything goes" class and see how many four cylinder bikes show up.

longride 05-14-2003 10:18 AM

Re: Honda quickly decided against a single or twin due to their lower performance

So will fours die. The Japanese like em because they can build cheap, race replica street bikes for the dupes that think they are so great, from that configuration, considering they have been making them for 34 years now. If the rules didn't restrict racing designs many years ago, we would have V-6 bikes on the streets and not fours. Even the inline 6 may have made an impact, like the CBX, which I owned. Since they couldn't race it, it died. Again, more cylinders is better in racing. That's just a fact and always has been.

KPaulCook 05-14-2003 12:50 PM

You are oversimplifying

Never said inline 4s were superior. Just said V-Twins were inferior in racing. As for your more is better agrument. Keep in mind what my favorite engineering professor used to say to us "Keep it simple stupid" Inline 4s are simple to build and tune for racing. Even much simpler than V-Twins which have crazy exhaust manifolds etc. So to say that an 8 cylinder bike would be better than 6 and much better than a 4 is a gross oversimplification. Diminishing returns have to come into to play some time. More cylinders more complexity more moving parts etc. Also lower the number of cylinders more low end torque Mr V-Twin. For a given size bike there is probably an optimal engine size, configuration. 4s and 8s have a natural power balance because of firing order. etc etc. Maybe a V-4 is perfect for an 800 cc bike.

Buzglyd 05-14-2003 01:46 PM

Save me Seruzawa!

At the risk of being beaten about the head by Seruzawa I'm going to answer your question:

No you can't. I've never, ever made an argument about one type of engine configuration being superior to another. You know why? Because I don't friggin care. I "like" V-twins better. That's it. No evidence or juvenile ranting to support it. I just like the sound, feel, etc.

I don't pigeon-hole myself (unlike you) into some type of artificially created (Gen X) niche. In my perfect garage I may have one of each configuration from Harleys to 600 cc sportbikes. I don't make lame arguments about superiority because I welcome all types into my world. Whether it's women, friends, food, music, motorcycles, etc. I like to sample a variety.

To paraphrase "Spinal Tap": On what day did God create you and couldn't he have rested that day too?

KPaulCook 05-14-2003 02:17 PM

Re: Save me Seruzawa!

OK :)

KPaulCook 05-14-2003 02:21 PM

Don't limit yourself Sir

Hey don't restrict yourself to Vs I heard some guys theory, that boxer 4s was the optimal configuration. Aren't Subarus like that? Hey I am just having fun saying that V-Twins were bad. Hell I just might buy a Victory Vegas someday? Something about that bike I like.

john 05-15-2003 03:58 PM

Re: Harley Financial News

french huh?

lookin at their board i coulda sworn israel ran harley