Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 05-14-2003, 08:29 AM   #51
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent Post

Untill you notice that its a Rolox, and the guy you bought it from is off around the corner
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2003, 08:29 AM   #52
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default The Facts You Didn't Mention

Restrictor plate rules:

- 2-cylinder: 50 millimetres

- 3-cylinder: 39 millimetres

- 4-cylinder: 32.5 millimetres

- 5-cylinder: 27 millimetres

- 6-cylinder: 22.5 millimetres

Notice 5 and 6 cylinder machines are restricted more than 4. Why is that? If the inline four is the greatest thing on earth, why would they need to restrict the 5 and 6 cylinder bikes even more? Maybe because more cylinders than 4 would be even faster? Could that be possible? Isn't Honda proving that theoryin GP right now with their V-FIVE? I bet an unrestricted V-SIX would smoke the field in any race given no restrictions.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:32 AM   #53
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Financial News

You mean you're not taking a 600 sportbike on that trip? It's the pinnacle of motorcycling you know.

I'm jealous of your trip. Between business trips and parenting I have hardly had any time to ride.

I'm trying to stretch my son's legs so he can reach the floorboards but he keeps complaining about the pain! He already has two helmets but hasn't been on a motorcycle yet!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:40 AM   #54
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default More Facts You Never Knew

From Cycle World Article:

Honda's exotic V-five has its origins in a promising V6 prototype called the FXX, which RC211V project leader Tomoo Shiozaki helped develop back in 1988. This was designed specifically with the goals of compactness and mass centralization. It outperformed the RC30, Honda's all-conquering V4 sportster, and handled superbly. But with the market demanding race-replicas and Honda competing successfully with RC30s in the new World Superbike series as well as Formula One and endurance, the V6 never reached production.

More than a decade later, Shiozaki and his team brought similar properties to the RC211V. The V5 engine layout was inspired by the MotoGP rule that limits both four- and five-cylinder bikes to the same 145kg minimum weight. Honda quickly decided against a single or twin due to their lower performance; and against a six because that would have meant a weight 10kg above the 145kg figure for fours or fives, making tire problems likely. Having narrowed the choice, Honda went for a V5 instead of V4 or a lighter triple, mostly because the engineering team fancied the challenge. Five cylinders would give more power than four; indeed, the RC211V's 990cc unit not only produces close to 220 bhp at 14,000 rpm, but does so with impressive and controllable torque from low revs, as well as being relatively easy on rear tires.

Now the facts are 5 is better than 4 and 6 is better than 5. If rules were unrestricted, Honda would be running a V-SIX period. Soon all the others would copy and then production V-SIXES would be out and you would crow about how the V-SIX is the greatest engine configuration ever.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:45 AM   #55
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Read the fine print Sir

Those rules apply to next year only
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:46 AM   #56
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Pot, meet kettle

That has to be first
Old 05-14-2003, 09:48 AM   #57
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Honda quickly decided against a single or twin due to their lower performance

Longride can I use this in future arguments with you and Buz ? Thanks you are the best

"The V5 engine layout was inspired by the MotoGP rule that limits both four- and five-cylinder bikes to the same 145kg minimum weight. Honda quickly decided against a single or twin due to their lower performance; and against a six because that would have meant a weight 10kg above the 145kg figure for fours or fives, making tire problems likely. Having narrowed the choice, Honda went for a V5 instead of V4 or a lighter triple, mostly because the engineering team fancied the challenge. F"
Old 05-14-2003, 09:49 AM   #58
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Just the facts

Do you have something to intelligent to say? Or do you think you are funny?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:03 AM   #59
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Honda quickly decided against a single or twin due to their lower performance

More cylinders win, stupid. I have never argued that a V-Twin is a superior racing design. it just goes to show you how ignorant you really are. The inline four isn't superior to anything, just convenient. Also, whether the rules apply to this year, next year, or ten years from now, the 5 and 6 cylinder bikes are going to be restricted more than 4. Also, Honda stated that 5 cylinders make more power than 4. 6 makek more than 5, and so on. Simply put, the inline four is getting stomped in Moto GP. Only the lazy companies are still running one.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:23 AM   #60
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Read the fine print Sir

You mean next year on, not only. They did that because Honda would then run their V-FIVE or possibly a V-SIX and stomp everyone into the ground. You still haven't answered a simple question.

Why are the 5 cylinder and 6 cylinder bikes being restricted more than a 4?

Just answer that question.