Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 05-13-2003, 07:51 PM   #31
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Financial News

Ok, yer crazy..... I think you're correct though, whether the classic style is going to remain popular with the up and coming demographic, or the Wide Glide, Night Train and V-rod custom style is going to be more popular is probably something the planning dept. at HD has spent a lot of time pondering. I think the touring Glides are a pretty stable segment, also Sportsters are probably pretty stable. I have a hard time imagining a guy or gal who came up on GSXR's or CBR's naturally gravitating towards some '50's burger joint fantasy like a Heritige springer softtail with fringe and concho's. My guess would be a performance custom type cruiser would be more popular. It would be for me anyway.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2003, 07:53 PM   #32
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Reality Check for the Gray Pony Tail Brotherhood

Yes I agree but American icons can disappear. Time for Harley to plow some of those extreme profits back into R&D. Those profits come from marketing low cost to make bikes at extreme margins. This can't go on forever. Even mighty icons like PanAm, TWA, United, BSA, Indian, Triumph, Packard, Zenith, etc. fall when they take their market for granted. Nothing is guaranteed my friend, not even for French owned Harley.

KPaul

Motorcycle Prophet.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:54 PM   #33
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Thank you

Does U.S.N. count?
Old 05-13-2003, 07:57 PM   #34
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Post

I don't ever see myself on some Road Queen or Wide Slide. Those things are gross. I think I would be a sitting duck in traffic on those things. I heard longride does wheelies on his Electra Slide though.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:07 PM   #35
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul the Motorcycle Prophet

How about some predictions that require a little fore thought there, Motorcycle Prophylactic, Predicting that GSXR1000's would kick ass in ama superbike and Honda would dominate MotoGp is like predicting Aprillia will dominate 250 GP and HD sales and market share will continue to erode Honda's lead in the large displacment catagories.... Whats it all mean Kpaul?
Old 05-14-2003, 02:02 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Especially when he meant you.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:06 AM   #37
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: KPaul the Motorcycle Prophet

GSXR hasn't won a thing in WSB, so first prediction is wrong. You never said a thing about AMA vs. WSB. WSB is doing better that AMA in attendance. How is that doing badly? It's the AMA that is doing badly. Suzuki can't win on the workd stage, so the minor leagues is all they have. Ducati's rule WSB. Ducati went with a V-FOUR not inline. You crow about inline four dominance and it hasn't happened. Wrong again. Honda is dominating with a V-FIVE and not a four, so there goes another inline theory. Guess you aren't as smart as you thought.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:14 AM   #38
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Excellent Post

I don't think anyone cares what you MIGHT ride. You have had all of one motorcycle, and somehow you have learned it all. No, Harleys don't appeal to everyone, just as Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, and BMW's don't. Some people like a Rolex. Some like a plastic Casio. One has more features, bells and whistles and is much cheaper. One is a work of art and timeless. One you throw in the garbage when it's done. The other will be valuable your whole life.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:21 AM   #39
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Thank you

I don't know if that qualifies as a brand but for you it counts!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:15 AM   #40
SmokeU
Registered Member

And not everyone has/wants to spend 15k on a motorcycle. They need a decent bike for less than 10k, not that POS anemic vibe-o-matic.