Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 12-07-2000, 12:47 PM   #1
BRKNtibia
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley to be M.I.A. at Daytona Tire Test

This could only make the racing even more exciting. I feel that AMA Superbike is the hardest title in the world to win because of the depth of talent in the field. Harley has been the butt of many jokes from fans and racers (myself included) for quite some time, but deep down we all like to cheer for an underdog. Those guys have been doing a great job working with a budget a fraction of what the other factories spend. Hopefully Harley will use some of those `record earnings' to give these guys a fighting chance.
BRKNtibia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2000, 04:16 PM   #2
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Hmmm...

Interesting. Are they really going to put words into actions? I support the effort, because I would love to see a real American superbike be competitive on the track, but along with many others, I want to see them on the street as well. If it is true that they are investing the "resources necessary" to win, they can succeed. Aprilia is one small company that has given the bigger competitors a run for their money this year in World Superbike, coming in 3rd place overall- ahead of Ducati and Kawasaki.
Old 12-08-2000, 03:44 AM   #3
GboroGoose
Founding Member

Default Re: Fraction ...I guess 3/2 is a fraction

Do you really think a re-hashed Japanese twin (oh, by the way Suzuki stayed with the four and didn't see it through development) would work better than a purpose-built in house design that has the "depth of talent" of Roush racing and Ford behind it? And think of the contractual problems, not to mention the rancor or do or die Harley fans. I don't. ;^)
GboroGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 04:49 AM   #4
P-Ratt
Premium Member

The number of production VR1000's that are out there will never see American public roads. Harley does not want it to happen. In order to buy one of these overpriced non-competetive bikes, you must sign a contract saying that it will not be ridden on public roads in America. Anyone who can cough up enough cash to buy a VR probably has the funds to bring one to the US and destroy Harley's hard fought contempt for sport riding.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 05:13 AM   #5
VFRider
Registered Member

Yah, that's how Ducati did it.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 05:50 AM   #6
a929rrrider
Founding Member

They will win if they buy a Honda, HD will never be a sportbike
a929rrrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 06:10 AM   #7
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

The only way Harley can be competitive at Daytona is to take the current race bike, jack up the gas cap, and slide a whole new bike underneath.

A close copy of the RC51 should do nicely. Plus, it will save them a lot of development headaches. Hey, it worked for Honda -- isn't the RC51 nothing but an improved Ducati 996 anyway? Besides, the Japanese have been doing the same thing to Harley street bikes the whole time.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 07:35 AM   #8
JustEd
Founding Member

Default I Coulda Been a Contender...

The U.S. could be building bikes with Japanese

speed and German quality, but... Every resurrected

brand in the past few years has been the same old

chrome pig, as if the only biker interested in

a U.S. brand is an accountant who wants to pretend

he's an outlaw on sunny weekends.

The Europeans watch bike riding, for the greater part, and the U.S. fans ride them. Isn't anyone

over here listening?
JustEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 09:53 AM   #9
ClubRacer
Founding Member

Default They got the money

Harley is only in AMA not wsb or bsb just the ama.

They still can't win unless they get some new tech in that stone ax they race
ClubRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 10:21 AM   #10
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

If in fact Harley holds second place in wins, it's because of the winning in the very early years of Daytona. I don't believe Harley has won the Daytona 200 for almost 30 years. Oh, by the way, 3/4 of Russell's wins came on a Kawasaki, only one on a Yamaha. The Yamaha's Daytona wins you speak of came from the 2-strokes they raced in the 70's and '80's (ridden by King Kenny Roberts and the like) before they changed the rules to require 4-strokes. Eddie Lawson also won Daytona for Yamaha, on a FZR-750, in the late '80's.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote