Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-17-2003, 02:27 PM   #31
theDuke
Founding Member

Default Re: Another Record for H-D

The increase in production has nothing to do with increased retail sales... it has to do with sales from the factory to dealers.

H-D stock has been hurt a bit recently by concerns over rising retail inventories. Wall Street was also concerned about the slowing growth of HD revenue. Their production of bikes has increased steadily as they've made investments in new factories and manufacturing technology. This modest 1000 bike increase was probably a response to this concern.

I'd imagine many of the changes to the York factory are intended to increase their manufacturing efficiency and lower cost, which also won't hurt them long-term.

I also wonder if their overseas sales have dropped. The economies of their major export markets are much worse than the U.S. economy.

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2003, 02:29 PM   #32
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Good one

LOL Can you do wheelies on that thing? Hey I am not a Poser. If it can't do the 1/4 in less than 11 seconds I am not interested in it. Actually the DynaGlideSport is a nice bike. Is that what you have? The Road Kings and Sportsers I don't like. But I like the FXDX and FatBoy.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default KP's predictions

Just remember, this is the guy who recommended betting large on the Raiders.

With H-D selling close to 300,000 units a year I'm sure the death of the cruiser is just around the corner.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 03:08 PM   #34
tgo63
Founding Member

That's exactely what I had in mind...
tgo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 04:01 PM   #35
micty
Founding Member

Default Re: As a H-D stockholder I thank you.

No need for racist comments.
micty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 05:01 PM   #36
crashedupderby
Founding Member

$20,000 and 20 miles doesnt make you a biker
crashedupderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 05:02 PM   #37
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: As a H-D stockholder I thank you.

Dude, you missed the boat big time.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 05:24 PM   #38
mjs
Founding Member

you forgot about the harley davidson condoms

better wear two......they leak !!!!!!!!
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 05:42 PM   #39
Vlad
Registered Member

I'm glad Harley is doing well. I don't know too much about the sportbike-cruiser catfight, because I agree we have more in common than we have that separates us. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that it is the Harley riders who refuse to wave back or talk to those of us who don't belong to their "exclusive club." Riders of other makes of cruisers seem as friendly as any other rider. What I call "real" Harley riders, i.e., those who have been on bikes for years, seem quite friendly. It's the new breed of rubbie Harley rider that is the most extreme in their exclusion of the rest of us.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 07:05 PM   #40
v2-90
Founding Member

Good news bad news for H-D. Even though revenue is up for the manufacturer, U.S. registrations were down 3% over last year. The "overly cautious" UBS Warburg downgraded HDI to Neutral and the earlier spike in stock price dropped today to a 3.5% loss over Wednesday's close.

I thought the most important revenue increase was that of parts/acccessories, which jumped up 22%. EBITDA numbers looked fairly strong, accomodating for the increase in production.

One thing I've noticed in the past couple of years at their dealerships: There are a lot more motorcycles on the floor than I remember from a few years ago. Almost every model is represented, even at the smaller dealers. Also, most of the dealers I've spoken to in SoCal have started to drop or have dropped completely, the standard MSRP Uplift that had become almost commonplace a few years ago.

HD's response to the decline in registrations is untimely bad weather in Q1, perhaps they're right...

...however, I went into a HD dealer a few weekends ago and counted 12 (counted 'em myself) VRODs on the sales floor...

Don't even get me started on the horrible sales representation of Buells.