Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-07-2003, 03:39 AM   #1
davoduc
Founding Member

Default Re: New or Used Bike?

I'm not sure where you live, but here in KY (not the best place to shop for a bike, but a fantastic place to ride one), the Harley dealerships are sold out, usually ahead of time.

If you really have a thing for Harleys, look around at used sportsters and test-ride a couple. You may find out that you don't like something about them, but that would be a decent novice bike and you don't have to spend 18K to own one.
davoduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2003, 03:46 AM   #2
tumbler
Founding Member

I wouldn't get caught up in the 100th anniversary hype, unless that is really your thing. I would recommend starting on a used bike that weighs considerably less that even a Harley Sportster. This really helps with the dropped in the parking lot while I was barely moving factor. If you just have to have a Harley a lot of Harley riders start out on sportsters and then move up, so you should be able to get one used in good condition.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:08 AM   #3
thecrumb
Founding Member

What if you buy it and for one reason or another don't like riding? If you've NEVER ridden - I'd take the riding course first and see how you do. Then I'd seriously consider getting a cheapo rat bike. Ride for 3-4 months this summer and if you are still alive and just HAVE to get a Harley than saw off an arm and a leg and get one.

And you WILL drop it. Maybe not while riding but possibly in a parking lot, garage, etc.
thecrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:17 AM   #4
drthompson65
Founding Member

If you have never ridden I might suggest the following:

1) Join the AMA

2) Get yourself into a MSF Riders course

3) Look for a couple year old Sportster 883 or a Buell Blast! This way you can find someone else who has fixed all the oil leaks

4) You might want a to look at a Honda Rebel as well for a first bike.

Don't get caught up in this Harley 100th BS. Also don't get caught up in these full dressers either. I've own them and then are big, slow and not very fun. I've had more fun on sportsers than any other Harley big.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:34 AM   #5
Lowrez
Founding Member

Excellent point. Lots of people like the idea of riding, but actually riding is another story all together. This is why we see more Harely-Davidson clothing stores than H-D dealerships. I often tell people to get a cheap ($3k) used bike to spend a seaon on. You can usually sell them for at least half what you paid for them, even if you dropped it and negelected it a bit. If you never ride again, you're out less than $2K, but if you become a real motorcyclist, you'll make a better buying decesion and never regret the dough you spent.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:44 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I would say start out with a 500cc machine or smaller for at least a year before buying a Sportster or any other larger machine. That advise is from the experience of seeing too many people crash bikes that they couldn't handle. If you make it a whole year without a serious incident, go buy a Harley after that. As was said above join the AMA and take an MSF course. Get out on the road alot to get "real world" experience and wear protective gear.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:49 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

If you do want a Harley, don't waste time in the used bike market. Used ones are selling for nearly as much as new, so buy new and get the warranty.

Buy a used Japanese bike first to get some experience. Then if you decide to keep with riding go for the new HD.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:55 AM   #8
DialedIN
Founding Member

I.......sssss........thhhhhe....spo....r..s..ter.. . r....e..a...l...y... (ops sorry my hands were still vibrating from getting off a sportster.) The sportster is not really a good beginers bike... No Harley is. You didn't state your size/wieght.

even the 883's can be a handlefull to pick up after a fall. There are plenty of good beginner bikes out there, that other beginers have out grown. You will out grow a buell Blast real fast.
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:04 AM   #9
sarnali
Founding Member

an older used dual sport might be an option for you, you can practice braking and balance offroad without having to worry about cars, then after your MSF course you'll be able to ride it on the street and see if you still like it, THEN you can get something like an SV650. They have plenty of power, good brakes and handling and are light and compact, Sportsters are still fairly heavy bikes even though they're light for HD's it's not a good idea to jump in with a spendy bike while you're still learning. light and cheap is the way to go to start.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:12 AM   #10
jaypuck
Founding Member

also, here's an interesting point.

when I first started riding, I was all about the harley. woo. american, big, loud, great image, etc. I bought a honda cb550 as a 'learner' (1000 bucks, 2000 miles and in perfect condition) and soon found out that there is no way I could ride a cruiser style bike. they just don't do corners the way I want to.

I recommend you do the same. buy "a bike" and you may find that you are not a cruiser person.
jaypuck is offline   Reply With Quote