Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-08-2003, 12:02 AM   #51
ho0fart3d
Founding Member

Default Re: New or Used Bike?

ps - i dont even remember writing those comments
ho0fart3d is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2003, 02:47 AM   #52
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Never ridden before?

Spend at least 2 years in the dirt before you even put one wheel on the pavement. It will save your life.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:44 AM   #53
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't be a Lemming

Well look at that, a new rider asks a perfectly innocent question about motorcycles.

But you, instead of welcoming him to the biking fraternity and helping him in his quest, go off on the old Harley vs. the rest of the world rant.

Take the advise of your thread title, and stop repeating half truth's and asinine arguements and help the guy get into motorcycles.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 03:56 AM   #54
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Maintenance Costs

Ever see what a dealer will charge to change the rear tire on a Goldwing? It takes a long time to take off all that body work. There is something to be said for bikes that you can work on yourself without removing plastic.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 04:41 AM   #55
obandoj
Founding Member

Take the class, buy a rat 250 Rebel and survive your first riding season. If you make it and like it, the sky is the limit, good luck.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 06:38 AM   #56
hoklar
Founding Member

There is a lot of good advise (for the most part) in all of the replys you received. To start, taking the safety course is a very smart thing to do.

Now, about the bike. Do you want a nice big heavy expensive Harley for you.....or for your ego? Think about that before you buy one.

If you can afford an anniversary edition then you probably have money to burn. Why not invest some of that money in your riding skills by buying a beater bike to get started with? Depending on the HD model you want, you will probably go on a waiting list (used to be that way for a new HD). Use the beater bike to get yourself some experience while waiting for the HD.

If you truely believe you need a brand new HD to start with then you are more concerned about your ego and looking cool then learning to ride. That is a very dangerous way to start out. You may survive.......but probably not.

Keep in mind the reason most people are directing you to a cheap used bike is to help you learn to stay alive and unhurt. Dead people can't have fun (as far as we know.....I have not seen any evidence that dead people are having fun).

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do. Just be careful, have fun and enjoy the view.

Cheers
hoklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 07:59 AM   #57
Poltergeist55
Founding Member

Please give some serious consideration to your purchase. You may be type casting yourself for life. You do know the difference between a harley and a vacuum cleaner dont you? A vacuum cleaner has a dirt bag on the inside! With out any riding experience, may I suggest you make your first bike something simple, and extremely easy to ride, such as a new Suzuki GSXR1000. A real ***** cat. When leaving the dealer's lot, be sure to fully twist the throttle before heading into traffic. Youlle need to build up a good head of steam first before you merge with the much faster moving cars. A great learner bike! Bag the rider safety course too, if youve ever ridden a bicycle or even a tricycle, your fine. One more suggestion, If you do purchase a harley, youlle need to change your handle from Lil-Devil to something more appropriate, like "Trailer Park Demon", or something like that.......
Poltergeist55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:13 AM   #58
sjriott
Founding Member

Default Re: HD's are NOT beginner bikes

"Crusin' on a Hog is no problem IF you can handle a 700+ Pound bike with 100 Ponies."

Is this a joke????? The only Hardley that has 100 hp is the V-rod.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:17 AM   #59
sjriott
Founding Member

I'd look at a Honda VLX 600 Shadow. They are cheap new and really cheap used and very reliable. They are a much better first bike than the Honda Rebel or Buell Blast.

The plus side of buying a Harley is that you'll learn to be a mechanic in between rides!
Old 04-08-2003, 08:52 AM   #60
ro-monster
Founding Member

Default Re: Plenty of good beginner bikes

I ride a DR650 every day, and I love the beast, but I would not say it was a well-mannered beginner bike. Granted there isn't a lot of power, and it won't suffer much damage when you drop it, but it has a high center of gravity, it tends to feel as though it's falling into corners, and the throttle response is abrupt enough that a beginner might have difficulty with it. And of course, you would need to have long legs to use it as a learner bike! (I'm short, and when I pull up to a red light, I look like a dog peeing on a post.)

My boyfriend is learning to ride, and even though he's tall enough that the DR fits him perfectly, he finds it difficult to handle. We bought him an old Nighthawk 450, which he finds much more friendly.