Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-07-2003, 01:13 PM   #31
KZ6
Founding Member

Default Re: New or Used Bike?

I'd go to class, I rode the Buell Blast at my class. I just got back into motorcycling after many years, the class is great. Back in the day I rode dirt bikes, then when I could I bought a 350cc rode bike and moved on from there. After the class I'd get what you want but learning on a small bike is the best way - you can always man up if need be and buy a HOG.
KZ6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2003, 01:49 PM   #32
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: You don't want a Harley as a first bike...

I don't consider an SV650 to be a beginners bike, I included it because of it's compact size and good handlig and braking, another good choice would be a ZR7 Kawasaki, or a 750 Nighthawk, all offer good power and handling without being excessive and even new are under $7k
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:59 PM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Do not listen to all these "experts" who rag on and on about Harleys. In my experience few to none of them have ever owned one. The AMF years are long over with.

That said, don't do the usual American thing of getting a .44mag when a .38 will do. Start out with a smaller bike.

Unfortunately there aren't many beginner style bikes imported. Most people just gotta go with the HOG or the CBRRRRRRR first. Often to their sorrow.

Old 04-07-2003, 02:27 PM   #34
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Re: You don't want a Harley as a first bike...

I put the SV as a "Beginner++" bike. Its a little much on the engine department (70 horsepower compared to 50 for the EX500), however it doesn't have any bad handling characteristics (not cruiser too-sluggish nor supersport too-sharp), is lightweight, and more importantly, the engine power is buried at the upper (>6k RPM) range so a beginner is less likely to dump it due to throttle upset, as he or she has already done some commitment to getting more power beyond just the right wrist-action: namely let the engine revv.

Light is good, until you get blown around the road light, as long as it doesn't make the handling too sharp, as a light bike is more forgiving at parking-lot speeds. Also, an SV (or an EX250 turned into a track bike) is most likely to be kept long after the rider has grown more proficient.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #35
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Plenty of good beginner bikes

There's the DP bikes: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650 etc, which all have decent power, good road manners (notihng too sharp/too extreme, especially with street tires), and great visibility.

There's the perennial Kawasaki EX250/500 pair, light, fast enough, and cheap. Down at the AFM racing at sears point, EX250s in the hands of the best lap within about 15 seconds of the GSXR-1ks best lap times.

There's the SV650, light enough and fast enough for anyone, but forgiving enough to be OK for a beginner with right wrist restraint or a restrictor kit.

And there is even the pathetically underpowered Bee-Last, which would have been absolutely great (instead of an absolute crock) if someone would throw an EX500 engine in that chassis.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:53 PM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

KPaulCook: "I am not a HD expert "

I nominate the above statement as THE Gold Medal, A-Number-1, ALL TIME, "Understatement of the Year" winner.

Sorry, couldn't help that one KP!
Old 04-07-2003, 03:12 PM   #37
Lowrez
Founding Member

Point about ownership taken, but most people have never owned an SV650 and still recommend them. You don't necessarily need to own something to know it well.

Having ridden the big cruisers and watched newbies try and haul them in (some successfully, most not), I'd say most of this list is giving pretty good advice.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #38
clively
Founding Member

There are several things to look at buying a bike. Right now, in central Texas, used Sportsters are cheap, and the 100th anniversary editions aren't bad but shop around. I bought a 97 883 and it was great, if you accept it for what it is. You can make this bike into a comfy cruiser or rocket (with limitations) and they have a higher resale value. Take the MSF class, try several m/c's for comfort, check insurance, and check your local shops to see who has the best mechanics. If the shop only has lawn mower mechanics trying to work on your bike, it will cost you ( I suffered from this). Buy what makes you happy, know your limitations, don't get complacent, and enjoy.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:41 PM   #39
runner00
Founding Member

Take a course and then buy a buell blast or a

kawasaki 250 ninja. New or used doesn't really matter. If you buy new you will lose a little money

when you want to sell. If you really want that sportster take at least two courses and then buy the sportster. I know people who have started on 883's and they made it thru fine. Don't worry if you drop the bike. It's happened to eveyone. Be cautious and soon you will be having major fun.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:54 PM   #40
HDSquid
Founding Member

You are smart to take the course. Buy the anniversary HD because it's what you really want, but also get a used Rebel (for approx. $1500) to ride for six months. You might want to leave the HD at the dealer so you're not tempted to ride it.
HDSquid is offline   Reply With Quote