Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-07-2003, 10:14 AM   #21
thecrumb
Founding Member

Default Re: You will NOT drop the bike!

You haven't dropped it 'yet'

thecrumb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2003, 11:16 AM   #22
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default it's always best ...

it's always best to be the first to fart on the seat.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:19 AM   #23
trumant
Founding Member

Default Re: New or Used Bike?

You should check out beginnerbikes.com for some good reviews of rides suitable for new riders.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:31 AM   #24
webdev511
Registered Member

Default HD's are NOT beginner bikes

If you've never ridden before, a Harly isn't what you want for your first bike. Crusin' on a Hog is no problem IF you can handle a 700+ Pound bike with 100 Ponies. Point being that the weight and power will only amplify and begginer mistakes you will make. And yes, you will make them.
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:34 AM   #25
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Buells are great bikes.

Get a Buell Firebolt Lightning. The naked one. I ride the dresser but for a novice it is way to big and heavy. The Buell is an awesome bike and fast as any sane person will want to go.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:42 AM   #26
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Default DP, you're long legged..

dual-sports are great bikes to start with IF you're big enough to get your feet down.. Even smaller ones are relatively tall and could be awkward for you to begin with.

That said, I love dp bikes and second the recommendation. Trails are good places to learn about traction. (and handling the absence of) And dp bikes can generally take a spill better than other street bikes.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:18 PM   #27
wfowade
Founding Member

Default Re: You will NOT drop the bike!

Those that have and those that will-
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:38 PM   #28
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default Don't be a Lemming

Do you even know WHY you want a Harley? Or is that just what everybody else (as in like, other than you) says you should buy?

Do yourself, and the rest of the world a favor and don't bend over at a 90 degree angle for some greedy Harley dealer. Start reading some Motorcycle magazines (MO, Cycle World, Motorcyclist, etc. No, American Iron doesn't count, or any other pathetic H-D obsession mag.) and talking to guys that RIDE (note the emphasis on the word "ride") something other than a harley and aren't cops to get some good all around info, and make a decision based on what you find that you want for an actual reason. Or you could show your rugged American individualism and be like the 100 million other people in the U.S. who know nothing about motorcycles or how to ride.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:41 PM   #29
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default P.S.

There's a whole other world out there full of fun, excitement, and mature people, that most of the narrow-minded slaves to the H-D advertising regime will never know about. For your own good, I suggest you look into it.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:53 PM   #30
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Your decision, but consider the posts above...

Buying a bike (especially your first) has a definite emotional component. Threads on this site often lapse into the form versus function debate, along with classic "ride what you like" and "different strokes for different folks" arguments. Bottom line, you've got to connect to your bike (for whatever reason)...it's got to "do it" for you.

You've stated that you want a Harley, and that despite some urging from friends to buy used, you're itching for a new 100 year anniversary HD. We've all been there and felt that urge for a new bike...so we're with you on that Lil-devil. You've asked for advice...but I suspect that you REALLY want the new HD. Answered honestly, have you already made up your mind and just posted your question hoping that we MOrons would tell you to go for it? I think we've all veiled our true wants in inquiries before...

Either way, I hope you've noticed that 99% of the posts above have told you to curb your enthusiasm for the new HD for the time being and go with something that is more suitable to a beginner. That may not ultimately be what you want to hear, but consider the cummulative experience that has responded to your question. Some who have responded to you have been riding for 30+ years, while others are just a little ahead of you. Trust me, I don't think this community has EVER voiced such overwhelming agreement on an issue before!

So bud, we welcome you to our exciting, challenging, rewarding and risky world. Whatever you ride, do it for the fun of it, but consider your lifelong riding career now and be willing to work through the ranks. Take your time to earn your stripes and hone your riding skills and I think you'll discover that riding is a hell of a lot of fun...no matter what you ride.

Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote