Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 03-18-2003, 03:23 AM   #1
allbikesbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rod Test ride

First Post!

to start, I'm an addict so..

my motto: 'any motorcycle is a good motorcycle... some are better than others

Well, being bitten by the Harley fever a couple of years ago and regretting it ever since...('00 FLHT.. so, so bike) ('02 883R.. horribly slow but oh so pretty!)

I looked long and hard at the VRod and found it doesn't have enough ground clearance

and the comment about the seating position would kill my butt/lower back, as well as cancel out the leverage for spirited riding.

I'm 5'8" 150lbs, not much to work with to 'muscle' a bike.

Thanks but No thank, I'll pass on the VRod.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2003, 04:45 AM   #2
electraglider_1997
Founding Member

I've demo'd the V-Rod a couple of times at Sturgis and was very impressed with its power and finish but wished they had just put that motor in a Sportster from the get go. I just don't care for the raked out look of it. I once saw a computer generated dresser V-Rod by a guy named Todd88 (???) and it looked great. If Harley creates a dresser with this kind of kick- butt motor then I'm sure the sales would go through the roof. The Winger type crowd would definitely take notice. Just make sure everything is first class just like on the original V-Rod.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 05:05 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I haven't ridden a V-Rod, and I think the motor needs a different platform before I would seriously consider looking at it. Something more sporty or a tourer would do. Anything that doesn't have those awful forward controls would be just fine.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:12 AM   #4
boru4761
Founding Member

The V-Rod's Revolution motor is the future of Harley. Harley is smart to debut this engine in a dragster looking cruiser as it speaks to their image and thereby lessens the alienation experienced by their more 'traditional' fans. However, I fully expect this engine (detuned for more torque?) will start showing up on other models. An excellent application would be to shove the motor, as is, in a Buell XB9S chassis. The demographic that is looking for a naked hooligan bike would love this motor. Along with all the other technological tricks of the XB9S, it would make the XB11S a completely up-to-date naked sportbike coming out of a Harley factory. Might even steal some real market share from the Big Four's naked inline fours. Wouldn't that be something to see?
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:11 AM   #5
sarnali
Founding Member

Thats pretty much what I thought while I was riding it, anything but highway pegs, however I tried holding my feet in the position they would be in with a T-sport setup and there just isn't enough room with this particular frame design, The motor is very strong, and rev's fairly quickly, torque is really not a problem. This motor, integrated into the rest of the HD line-up will squash any "gut-less Harley " BS right now, and it actually handles pretty well, it's got Sportmax D207's which stick like glue, even in the rain, My bud was sliding his FXR in almost every corner, to stay in front of me and the V-rod was just rolling along, It really is a nice bike
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:20 AM   #6
SmokeU
Registered Member

The Revolution is too heavy to work in anything but a cruiser or tourer platform. It wouldn't be much of a hooligan bike with that heavy of an engine/transmission hanging there.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:36 AM   #7
jaycar
Founding Member

I was talking to a dealer about this as well, and everyone might get their wish. Rumor has it that there are two, maybe three, bikes based on the VRod coming this summer. One is an S3 replacement and one a bagger.

Having test rode a VRod, I'd go along with all these comments. The motor is a freight train (everything they say it is), but the big rake and riding position make it a non-starter.

Sign me up for the new ones.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:25 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

Very nice review, Sarnali

Since I know that your frame of reference is a 1200 Bandit, when you talk about freight train torque, I know you mean REAL torque.

I have been planning to do my own test -- just have to drive 3 hours to the closest dealer so it is not something I do on a whim.

Based on your review, and the story in the current Roadracing World magazine, I'll second the comments of several others here -- put this motor in something with a more "standard" riding position and some cornering clearance, and I'll be seriously interested.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #9
boru4761
Founding Member

Yeah, I see what you are saying. The extra weight would most likely negate the extra performance of the Revolution. Still, from a marketing point of view it would make the XB9S that much tricker. How much heavier is the Revolution? I know it is a little over 200cc's more than the current XB9S Motor but is it really that heavy?
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:49 AM   #10
Neal
Founding Member

If they put this motor in a full dresser i WILL buy one.....I had planned for years to trade my dresser when they came out with a new motor but I was disappointed in the twin Cam....an improvement over the evo but no where near where a 21st century bike should be.The VR motor fits the bill
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote