Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 03-19-2003, 02:49 AM   #21
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default jaycar

Sorry but you are going to have to get in line behind me.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2003, 02:57 AM   #22
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default jsven007

I had a vintage 1980 cb900 and it would have been lucky to do 13.31 in the quarter.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:06 AM   #23
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default KPaul

I'm a big stockholder and have held through 5 splits. Supply and demand rules. I for one am happy that HD Corp does things the way they do. Falling prices wouldn't bother me until it got to the point where most of the other bike manufacturers are. They usually have to give all kinds of incentives and sell for less than MSRP. Our Harley dealer in Omaha still can't keep bikes on the floor and usually only has a bunch of trade ins and a couple of new Sportsters. I imagine that the Sportsters are gone now that warm weather is here.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:37 AM   #24
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rod Test ride

KP,

As I noted in another string, there are 'Rods being offered in FtWalton for $500 under MSRP.

The other point, as I made above, is that the bike has very limited range (a buddy says 80 miles per tank)

Other than that, it's a keeper! For someone other than yours truly.

They say the new ones, with paint, are very attractive

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 04:54 AM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

He's probably smoking the same stuff that the idiot that says an 82 CB 900 can run an 11.31 quarter. That guy is a real tooth fairy clown eh?
Old 03-19-2003, 05:38 AM   #26
KPaulCook
Banned

Default The numbers don't lie Ninja smokes VRod

By the numbers my Ninja does:

0-60 mph = 3.03 seconds

0-100 mph = 6.79 seconds

Quarter Mile 10.69 seconds @ 126.68 mph

Top Speed 154 mph

Numbers from Motorcycle Consumer News
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 05:59 AM   #27
rsheidler
Founding Member

Roadracing World (which as the name suggests has a slightly different market focus from, say, Easyrider) did a test on several power cruisers -- including the V-Rod, in their newest (print only) issue. They turned a group of professional roadracers (I believe they all have AMA Pro licenses) loose with them. Not a beanie , or even an open face, helmet among them, and at least in the published photos, no arm chaps or fingerless gloves. The Highwayman would have refered to them all as "atrociteurs."

Anyway, I expected that this was some sort of joke (and maybe it was intended that way, as it is the April issue), but the testers all has a blast with the bikes. They did not do any parade duty, as the primary test venue was the Streets of Willow race course.

Yes they did complain about the ground clearance, and the riding position, but I don't believe I saw any *****ing about the raked out fork.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:32 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: The numbers don't lie Ninja smokes VRod

Those number's represent proffesional testers on the same bike you have, as opposed to "your bike", at any rate no one said a V-rod could out run a Ninja, the point was the V-rod is not your stereotypical " gutless Harley" the point was the V-rod represents a paradigem shift for Harley, and I repeat, I doubt "you" on "your" ninja could smoke one in 2nd gear. I realize someone riding a bike for fun, and being impressed with how well a new design works, without constantly having to prove that it is the fastest thing going, is an alien concept for you. Perhaps after you've racked up another years experiance you'll realize that bikes are fun, not tools to prove your self worth.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:23 AM   #29
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

The weight and plumbing from a "Revolution" are not the only thing keeping it out of the XB chassis. It is also considerably wider and longer than the “Sportster” motor, though to my untrained eye, it is a little shorter in the vertical plane. I really don't think it would fit without altered frame and geometry. The S-2 and S-2 platforms are a more likely candidate.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:40 AM   #30
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default The real truth ZX-6 vs VRSCA

Ok, lets settle this.

Having both a V-Rod and a ZX-6R in the MO garage at this very instant, I can tell you with confidence that the ZX-6R will not smoke a V-Rod in 2nd gear, as the V-Rod is capable of around 130MPH and the ZX-6R will not go 130 in second gear. If K-Paul was referring to both bikes in 2nd gear from say 30mph, the V-Rod will walk away from the ZX-6R at first, but the Kawasaki quickly climbs into its sweet spot and proceeds to reel-in and pass the V-Rod. Of course, we are comparing Apples to Oranges people. The V-Rod is a CRUISER the ZX-6R is made to go fast.

K-Paul, if you weren't 100% ready (and in exactly the right gear) the guy on the V-Rod is going to spank you silly, for several hundred yards, before you catch back up to him.

Sarnali, if you go picking on 600 Sportbikes with a V-Rod you are going to find yourself out of ground clearance, top-speed and occassionally accelleration, more often than you'd care to admit. But as you point out above, you already knew that.

If you want to compare point A to point B racing or god forbid roadcourse performance, the contest is about as lopsided as a Boa Constrictor vs. Lab Rat (sure the V-Rod might get the occassional nibble in, but the Sportbike is going to swallow it whole)