Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 03-18-2003, 10:33 AM   #11
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rod Test ride

Thanks for the snapshot review, this was one of the bikes I was going to test at Daytona (family medical prodlems killed the trip, all are well). I have heard about the weight problem of the rev motor, never seen any hard numbers to prove it, but I still think it would work in a sport touring rig ( ala duc st4) be nice to get Harley to try some other bike styles (even if Beull puts it out)
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2003, 10:59 AM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

A friend has one (and an older FLH) and he has two things to say about the 'Rod...

1) Lots of power, but you need to keep the revs up, and

2) He gets about 80 miles to the tank!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 11:58 AM   #13
jsven007
Founding Member

SmokeU has been smoking something. I imagine he thinks the Hayabusa is slow because it is 478 pounds dry.

He must also believe that hooligan bikes (ZRX 1200, bandit 1200 etc.) weigh 370 pounds, and the tooth fairy is real.

jsven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 12:09 PM   #14
jsven007
Founding Member

I am sure you saw this coming...

An FZ-1 with a retail of $8,500 or my ZRX 1200 would still beat a V-Rod in a straight line, and annihilate it in the twisties. Or you could buy a new 600cc sportbike and still beat him in both.

Since when was a 1/4 mile time or 11.31 @ 114.95 (motorcyclist - Vrod) fast??

I am sure I could find a 1982 CB900 that comes pretty close to 11.31, for maybe $1,500.

Yup, next time a V-rod pulls up to me at the light, I will be sure to spank him.
jsven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 12:58 PM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I did the same thing last week. I've always thought the VRod to be sweet-looking and I was impressed with the acceleration and the steering didn't have too much "chopper flop."

The biggest drawback for me is the small fuel tank and poor mileage. 4 gallons at 33 mpg doesn't allow for much distance between stops. It pretty much relegates the rod to "second bike" status.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:30 PM   #16
KPaulCook
Banned

Nice review. I love the looks of the V-Rod but like Longride and Bob I have too pass on the raked out front end. I would love to see the motor in a Monster like bike. That would appeal to us Gen Xers...Ys and Zssss. But when I was in Destination H-D 4 months ago they had a 20 K second sticker on the thing. So out the door in the Peoples Republic of Washington you were looking at $22 K or better. Maybe prices are falling ??? No that can't be. As a HD stockholder thats a bad thing.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #17
KPaulCook
Banned

Easy boy. Are you new to HO (Harley Online)?? . Don't criticize HD else you be called unMerican etc. Yep I am sure my Ninja could smoke it in second gear... but this bike is for the Posers. Given the raked out front end, lousy ground clearance, one could only have fun on this bike doing parade duty. Heck the lowly SV650 beats it in the quarter mile I think.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:43 PM   #18
KPaulCook
Banned

Yep I also heard you have to keep the revs above 5000 to go anywhere
Old 03-18-2003, 08:22 PM   #19
sarnali
Founding Member

I think you would be surprised at how strong this bike runs, I know I was, as for smokin' it in 2nd, no I don't think you would, as I recall from other tests on numbers alone the V-Rod puts out 107 hp & around 74lbs ft of torque, this starts at about 3 rpm and continues as high as you want to go, this is NOT your fathers Harley, I'd dig a little deeper before I ran my mouth if I was you, lad. No one is calling you un-american Kpaul, just " mis-informed"
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 02:43 AM   #20
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default KPaul

You probable heard that from someone that heard it from someone that didn't actually ride a V-Rod. Believe you me, that motor pulls from idle on up. It leaves nothing to be desired. It is a motor that I can't to see in a touring model.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote