Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 03-11-2003, 02:50 PM   #21
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Something else on the H-D website

I'm not sure really what they would use it for, though. As a motor for a mainstream cruiser it would suck- not enough low rpm power, and too busy on the the highway. I guess (outside of something like a Buell) I don't see Harley using it in any other bikes.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2003, 02:51 PM   #22
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: H-D 100th Tix Ready

I think that was the 750 (V45?), but I'm not exactly certain there. Anybody know for sure?
Old 03-11-2003, 04:25 PM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think it's way too heavy for a Buell. It was designed to look pretty which adds extra weight I'm sure.

It's not like H-D to have a motor that is only used in one bike. Maybe some type of more modern touring model.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #24
Eric
Founding Member

There was a picture in Cycleworld last year that showed something with more conventional peg placement and a much less raked out front end. Something with ergos like the Dyna Sport would be nice. We could even dream of true standard ergos. But the gas tank is still a problem. A 3 gallon tank on a sporty that gets 50 MPG is one thing. A 3 gallon tank on something that gets more like 30-35 is another.

It is not like Harley to have a single motorcycle family. When the VRod was introduced, it was suggested that it is was the first motorcycle in a new line (for those who don't know or don't care, HD has the Sportster, Dyna, Softail, Touring and, now, the V lines).
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #25
sarnali
Founding Member

I got one of those in the mail, if it ever stops raining around here I'm going to go take one for a whizz around, I guess they knew I had a Suzuki and was therefore a skilled professional, maybe they'll just give me a V-Rod instead of going through all the motions of entering the contest and what-not. The question is do I have to buy a trailer, or can I just use my pick-up? It's a Ford. If I festoon it with Harley stickers will it be OK? Finding fringed arm chaps to match my riding togs might be an issue too. I'm thinking lavander, with a dark purple flame applique` Kind of a Harley's best ***** the rest motif. any hints? I'm looking forward to riding the V-Rod though , should be fun.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:30 AM   #26
bikervince
Founding Member

I had a V65 Magna. The cam problem existed on all engine sizes V30, V45 and V65 (500cc, 750cc and 1100cc respectively) and was made worse by the fact that top end lubrication was supplied by a very narrow oil line attached to the transmission. Soft cams + not enough oil = problems. There were some aftermarket and do-it-yourself fixes that involved running another oil line from the bottom of the crankcase to the top end to improve lubrication which alleviated the problem. I did that on mine. When I traded it in the bike had over 50k miles on it and was still running strong.

bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:40 AM   #27
bikervince
Founding Member

I took one for a ride at the end of last summer. I asked the salesman what the price was and he told me it had just been reduced from $26k to 'only' $21k. He was real insistent about me taking a demo ride even though I had no intention of buying. Summary: Loved the engine, the sound the power. It seemed to be the perfect combination of Vtwin-ish low end grunt and inline4-ish top end rush. Wasn't too comfortable with the stretched out ergos, though. But I think that engine in a Dyna Low Rider chassis would make reach for my check book.
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 02:40 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

I had an '84 V65 Sabre that I put 40k miles on, the only problem I had with it was the connector between the alternator and the regulator/rectifier melted, I wired in three circuit breakers from NAPA at the connector and had no more problems, the engine had a slight knock when cold, other than that it was a good strong runner.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:28 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Tell me about it. I had an '85 Sportster with the 2.5 gallon tank. Though with the Frisco mounting you could only get 2.25 in it.

It was impossible to drive from Mesquite to Vegas on one tank. Those tiny Harley tanks really suck.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:37 AM   #30
pushrod
Founding Member

The dealership in Ft Walton (FL) has them in the paper for $500 under MSRP.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote