Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-13-2003, 07:09 AM   #21
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Gets Second Place

Come on, longride. You should know by now that Harleys suck, and that Harley Davidson is an evil corporation that fools people into buying junk because they don't know anything about what American motorcycle riders want. They've been doing it for 100 years now, but they are going to fail as a company tomorrow because they don't build inline four sportbikes that compete with the Japanese. Just accept their mechanical inferiority and get on with your life.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2003, 07:26 AM   #22
rsheidler
Founding Member

Yeah, with all that shaking and vibrating, flinging of lose parts and spewing of oil from every orifice, how in Hell ya gonna notice a little knock from a cam bearing?

Seriously, it would be useful to know what to listen for. I also agree that it would be interesting to have some statistics on frequency of failure.

That goes for some of the other failures for other brands that we hear about here. Be nice to have some perspective, not just the ranting of an isolated owner who is rightfully p!ssed because his new ride has a defect.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 07:27 AM   #23
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Gets Second Place @ Willow Springs

LOL... No Jody rides an orange and black sportster/dirttrack monster. The bike probably has 130HP and 100+ Lbft. It explodes off the line soo damned hard it is funny to watch. I'm really not sure what the exact chassis is, but it is a race bike, not a "Harley" street bike. When I was racing my CR-500 supermotard/roadracer, he was the only bike that could beat me off the line.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:33 AM   #24
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Oh yeah, and all Harley's customers are lawyers and doctors, and none of them know anything about motorcycles, including how to ride them, so they just trailer them everywhere. Cruisers, as a product category, are going to die because they won't run a 1/4 mile in under 11 seconds and can't lap a racetrack as fast as a YZF-R6. Furthermore, V-twins are unreliable POSs because they can't rev to 20,000 rpm or make as much horsepower as a four cylinder of comparable displacement. Inline fours are the pinnacle of motorcycle engine development and you are a lesser person for not running out right now and buying the latest GSXYBRZX-4000.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:37 AM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The poll was the average person's company impressions, not from an employee point of view, I believe.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:46 AM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

That's what I was thinking. Can you just see someone out there on a Road King?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 07:49 AM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

From what I know from research, the failure rate on the bearings was approx. 1.5%. If you believe they made 100,000 engines with defective bearings, as what is listed in the lawsuit, then 1,500 people had a problem so far. "Listening" for a cam bearing problem is useless. It will generally make little to no noise until complete failure, and then you will have no trouble hearing it. The funniest part of the story is Harley ratted on THEMSELVES. They put out a bulletin alerting dealers and people to the cam bearing problem and warranty the bearings for 50,000 miles and unlimited time. They acknowledged a problem and did waht they felt was enough to rectify any bearing failures. All they needed to do was pull a Honda and deny the existance of any problem until sales problems force you to admit it. That would then put the onus on the BUYER to PROVE that a problem even existed. It's weird that the people that seem the most perturbed about this situation, don't own a Harley, never owned a Harley, and never intend to own one.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:56 AM   #28
rsheidler
Founding Member

I met him a couple of years ago, and I believe that at that time he was running a well modified Sportster. I'm no Harley expert, but that is what it looked like. Conceivably could be a flat track frame. At that time he was running a smaller motor in Middleweight BOTT.

He seems to be one hell of a nice guy. Even though I was on a Ducati, he took a lot of time to give me pointers about best lines, etc.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:05 AM   #29
obandoj
Founding Member

At least they had a warranty to fall back on. And when the warranty was in effect the problems were fixed! Harley wants you to have a serious and potentially fatal problem before they do something about it, that is a totally different ball of wax.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:09 AM   #30
adaleb
Registered Member

obandoj - Have you ever been to the H-D Production facilities in WI? I have been to the Big Twin Plant as well as to the Buell factory many times. The engines and motorcycles built in WI are made by people just like you and me. Trust me, you will have a lump in your throat and a tear in your eye when you see how dedicated these people are.

This is one of the lasst vestages of true American Manufacturing.

They don't build the fastest bikes, but they do take pride in what they produce, and along the way they have rewarded the stockholders and suppliers that stuck by them when the times were tough.

I love the fact that most detractors of H-D, and Buell never seem to own one themselves.

PS: Read Peter Egan this month....
adaleb is offline   Reply With Quote