Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-13-2003, 05:37 AM   #11
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Harley Gets Second Place @ Willow Springs

Harley recently got another second place -- this time on the road race track, specifically the big track at Willow Springs.

Jody Hendley, on a Harley (Not a Buell) nailed second place in the BOTT Heavyweight race on January 19, behind a Suzuki, and ahead of Honda, Buell, Suzuki and Ducati. Just to prove this is not a fluke, he finished 3rd in the Formula Twins race that same day, and in case there is still doubt, he finished third in points for both classes for 2002.

Not bad for an obsolete, oil-spewing, parts throwing peice of crap!

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2003, 05:43 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Harley Gets Second Place

What exactly does a cam bearing knock sound like? How would I distinguish this noise from others the engine makes? I own a Harley and would certainly need to know how this sounds in case my cam bearings decide to make noise. How many people had this dreaded "cam bearing knock" and were turned away into the cold by the mean old Harley Corporation? What was the rate of failure from the cam bearings in the first place? Do you know?
Old 02-13-2003, 05:47 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Gets Second Place @ Willow Springs

What the heck was he riding?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 05:54 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Trailer story

I think I've got a good trailer story for you. Several years ago a friend and I rode to Palm Springs for a bike weekend. That's about 90 miles or so from where I live.

We were sitting in a bar having a beer when we ran into an old high school friend. We started talking and then asked him what day he rode out (he lived in Anaheim, about 75 miles from Palm Springs). He then looked at us and said he trailered it! We just stared at him for a minute and then started laughing. He looked embarrassed at that point and said see you guys later. We didn't see him again the rest of the weekend.

Maybe he had to polish up the trailer for the ride home.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:29 AM   #15
gooseman_1
Founding Member

What I wnat to know is: Who the hell did they ask these questions to? From the description in the article, it seems like they just randomly called people.

Wouldn't it make sense to ask: 1. Harley owners 2. Harley employees 3. Harley dealers (ie. people who might actually KNOW something about the company)

Admitedly, many of THESE people are brainwashed by the 'harley image' but it's a start.

Have you guys seen this commercial:

"If I'd done one thing different, I would'a got me that harley davidson".....kum-quat

kum-quat kum-quat.....ride on (snicker)

*Disclaimer: the snicker was mine and is not in the actual commercial, nor is it the property of the Harley Davidson Motor Company; but I'm currently trying to patent it*
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:37 AM   #16
Mooner
Founding Member

The Motor company also was honored with number 51 out of fortune magazines 100 best companies to work for. This seems to be an even greater honor given that they don't only focus on high profile companies. I guess they are doing some really good things over there.

Here's a link

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/bestcompanies
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:43 AM   #17
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Wouldn't it make sense to ask: 1. Harley owners 2. Harley employees 3. Harley dealers (ie. people who might actually KNOW something about the company)

Admitedly, many of THESE people are brainwashed by the 'harley image' but it's a start"

I guess it would depend on what the purpose of the survey was. If they wanted to judge Harley's reputation among the general public, then this format would make perfect sense. If they wanted to judge their reputation among their current customer base, then your suggestion would be best.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:49 AM   #18
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Rules from willow springs for a middle weight or heavy weight BOTT:

B.O.T.T. Middleweight

a) 501cc to 750cc displacement air or water-cooled, two or four valve head 4-stroke twins.

b) 501cc to 905cc displacement air-cooled, two-valve head 4-stroke twins.

c) 501cc to 1200cc air-cooled pushrod 4-stroke twins.

3. B.O.T.T. Heavyweight

a) Heavyweight twins are 751cc to unlimited displacement 4-stroke.

Sounds like it was a air-cooled pushrod twins.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:51 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I was just wondering what chassis it was. Dyna or what? Perhaps an aftermarket frame with a H-D motor?
Old 02-13-2003, 07:03 AM   #20
sanchin
Registered Member

Harley-Davison, Inc. also posted their 17th straight year of record profits. While other big American companies (GM, Ford, GE, etc..) are sending their jobs out of the U.S. as quick as they can, HDI is expanding their facilities and hiring more Amercans. They know their customers, and meet or exceed expectations.

Sounds like a wonderful success story to me.
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote