Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-01-2003, 11:45 AM   #1
ShadowPhil
Registered Member

Default Re: You know the saying ''If Harley made and airplane...

i think there is a fair bit of overlap between pilots and riders. and hey, at $52,000, the plane is not that much more expensive than a harley touring rig... i would like to learn to fly in that.
ShadowPhil is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2003, 11:46 AM   #2
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Well, at $52k, it's less than a lot of custom bikes. And hey, the engine is *in front* of you, so Man, can you ever hear the sweet song of those open pipes.

According to the FAA link, these planes fall under the 'sport-aircraft/sport-pilot designation' which limits the weight of the craft to 1,232 lbs. Which, again, is less than many custom bikes...
Old 02-01-2003, 01:14 PM   #3
jrpetruzzi
Founding Member

Stick the whole "Family" in a fleet of these reliable machines. I won't miss any of them!
jrpetruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
SuperBill
Founding Member

This is a joke, right?

I mean, aircraft are all about power to weight. The HD V-Twin has many things going for it, but nobody has accused the Motor Company of a high specific output engine since they introduced the original Sportster!

Then again, motorcycles are all about power to weight too, and they still sell a gazillion Harleys every year. Maybe the RUBs will reflexively line up to buy this little plane once they extract the proven Rotax aviation mill and shoehorn in an all-American HD lump.

WouldnÂ’t surprise me.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:45 PM   #5
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

Betcha somebody already makes drag pipes and a captain's chair smothered in leather and conchos for it...

"Tower Three this is Hog Air 883, show me your t*ts, over."

"Roger that Hog Air, love the whitewalls on your landing gear, over."

"Hog Air 883 requesting permission to make obscene gestures before heading to dealership to replenish concho supply, over."

"Permission granted Hog Air 883, don't forget to ask the dealership what oil your plane takes, looks like you're leaking out the rocker boxes..."

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:13 PM   #6
Neal
Founding Member

Actually this aint new......i remember reading years ago of a homemade plane in the 30's powered by a HD flathead motor
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

I read somewhere that as part of its diversification Harley builds bomb cases for the USAF.

I can just see the Highwayman in this contraption with an HD(tm) bomb under it buzzing his way to American Honda's headquarters..........

But, myself, I wouldn't put ANY motorcycle engine in an airplane and fly in it. Not Honda, Yammerhammer, Suzuki...no one's. Period.

I'll stick with actual aircraft designed engines, if you please.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:54 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Peter Egan

It is a bit of a coincidence that Peter Egan's column in the new Cycle World is about the Harley myths (unreliable, overpriced, etc).

In his column he mentions that he's owned 5 H-Ds over the past 12 years and not had a problem with any of them.

And since we're talking about aircraft, God Bless the crew of the Space Shuttle.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:48 PM   #9
ZipTie
Founding Member

Way back when .... didn't BMW pull an engine out of and airplane and make a motorcycle????
ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:56 PM   #10
SezaGeoff
Registered Member

Er.. no. BMW were prohibited from making aero engines, so they decided to make motorcycles.

Besides which, aircraft reward high torque more than high horsepower, which is why all the heavier uses of Rotax use step-down gearing. Can a Harley big twin be any less reliable than a European two-stroke?

SezaGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote