Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-01-2003, 03:06 PM   #11
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Don't believe that price

1) They probably need a production of 100 aircraft/year to break even, and what you get is what you see.

2) I'll bet all you get is the airframe, engine and basic instruments. Just common redundant nav/comm gear will boost the cost by 50%.

3) I'll further bet that they could get a better low compression Rotax engine for it for less money. The HD choice is just to boost US sales.

It's cute if it works, though.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2003, 04:16 PM   #12
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: You know the saying ''If Harley made and airplane...

No Bubba, thems not tassels, thems static wicks.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #13
Neal
Founding Member

harley used to build inert bomb bodies for the armed forces(Navy and Air Force) but they dont anymore
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 05:02 PM   #14
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default If Harley made an airplane.....GREAT BALLS 'O FIRE!

As a pilot it amazes me that someone would put ANY bike engine in an aircraft. I can't believe this engine could pass the required standards. It is an experimental plane (which are as safe as manufactured ones, if properly built) so liabilty isn't an issue for HD. Compared to a Lycoming, Continental, or even a Rotax engine it's a joke. I wouldn't fly it!
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 05:11 PM   #15
Hipshot
Registered Member

Actually, the old hog mill is more appropriate for aircraft than motorcycles. It is aircooled, which most aircraft engines are. It only needs to turn up to about 3,600 rpm and cruise at about 2400-2700 rpm, because if you try to turn the prop much faster, it cavitates and you lose thrust. But, it has plenty of torque in those rpm ranges. For light homebuilts, 60-90 HP is more than sufficient. And, contrary to the self-stroking dogma of riders of jap-crap, the HD engine is very reliable, at those horsepowers. So, yeah, I think I would!
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 05:36 PM   #16
KPaulCook
Banned

LOL This reminds of that old joke running around the net "if Microsoft built cars". Sometime latter another joke made the rounds "if Microsoft built airplanes". Some Mircosoft geek commeted in the Seattle times that the code in Excel was more complicated than the computer code in the Boeing 777. A Boeing Phd. put the lad in his place when he commented that there are several million lines of code contained in all of the various LRUs (sub system controllers, avionics systems ,etc) in a 777. All of these systems have to work in real-time without the luxury of the three finger salute (Cntrl Alt Delete) reboot in mid flight.

Seriously given the choice of flying in a air-cooled V-Twin experimental aircraft vs a Microsoft designed aircraft I'll take the HOG any day. But in general aircraft engines like Lycoming and Contintental would be my preference
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:00 PM   #17
TheFox
Founding Member

If this is to qualify as a sport-pilot craft, then it probably has HP limitations, like ultralights do. So actually low power would be good, but the healthy torque output Harleys have should make up for it. So it actually might not be that bad in application.

But would I fly in it? Hell no.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:03 PM   #18
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Want an interview?

These guys are about 20 minutes from my house...want me to interview them? E-mail me, but make it quick: I leave for the Corps in 8 days.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:00 PM   #19
kz650
Registered Member

Where do you think Kawasaki got it's start?
kz650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:06 AM   #20
Lamar
Founding Member

Hmmmm. Don't think I'd fly in it, but didn't the original v-twin design come from basically taking two cylinders from a radial aircaft engine anyway? Is this full circle?

If you ain\'t cheatin\'..... you ain\'t tryin\' hard enough.

[b][i]<a href=\"http://www.montypython.net/cgi-bin/dl2/grail.cgi?fart.wav\"> And now for something comp
Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote