Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-23-2003, 05:59 AM   #71
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Hard times coming for Harley?

New York Stock Exchange report today: $41 a share.

I guess the stupid investors are still stupid today

Best time to buy? When it goes down to about $5

Where are you Highwayman?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2003, 06:14 AM   #72
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: Hard times coming for Harley? This squid is holding on to the stock for awhile

That would be a real shame to pull the plug before it ever got off the ground with a decent motor. How can they not see that sportbike riders do not want an air-cooled pushrod V-Twin? Are they banking on "Well, Ducati gets away with it?" Because if they are, its the wrong tactic--the air-cooled 2v ducs can at least boast ohc and desmodromic valve actuation... even if it is 30 year-old tech, its still newer than sportster tech. At least cough up a new, sporting, 4V liquid-cooled V-twin before dropping the whole thing. Expensive? Hell yeah! But until they do, they haven't really tested the waters--only put a big toe in with the stone-age engine in a space-age chassis.

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:15 AM   #73
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Sorry. I took you for one of those "experts".
Old 01-23-2003, 06:21 AM   #74
T333
Founding Member

Default Re: I love the smell of a Harley thread in the morning.

It's worse than than the Mac vs Windows threads on the geek boards. Like HD, Macs are way overpriced, and Mac users are as smugly brainwashed as any HD cultist, but Macs have always been the cutting edge technologically. Windows has always had parts that didn't quite fit together and leave oil spots on the garage floor, tends to weigh too much and blow up at cruising speed when you least expected; but it's also affordable... Which is which?
T333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:38 AM   #75
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

All I know is I own a 30 year old Harley that is worth 3 times it's original price. Since neither the Mac nor a PC is even worth the price of a good paperweight 2 years after the purchase, I would say that neither is applicable to motorycles. Personally, I would choose Linux, Apache, PHP, and MySQL for my own server. At work we use Microcrap with Internet Exploder. Is programming in C++ better than VB? Why not Java? What about C# and using COBOL for internet applications? Is the new .NET really the future? Are the new IBM servers worth the money? Why is Sun StarOffice so unpopular even though it's free? Rambling on about computers really is interesting, don't you think?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:52 AM   #76
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default What did you think of the Road Glide?

My Wife loves hers. I like it because it handles almost as well as my Road King. She liked it because it had that monster fairing but was still easy to lift off the side stand.

I know you're getting the Ultra so I'm sure you've ridden both. Just curious what you thought.

Derrick
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:02 AM   #77
F451
Founding Member

I am in international business and can tell you that the Latin America (highly unstable and severely political), Europe markets (can't seem to find their own balance within, and I'm not saying the U.S. has all the right answers either) and Asia (with the exception of the Japanese, who love Harleys, so all you Japanese bashers take note) is not that good of a broadening market for H-D. If anything it will place H-D in a higher risk position if they venture to far into these markets. No, I think something that is so un-Harley would blow people's minds, like fuel cell technology in bikes. What can't H-D start setting the standards in these areas where people would least expect? Talk about investors looking at H-D and their R&D...they'd go wild with anticipation and their investment! As far as "branding," Harley is an icon and will still draw recognition, even in the down times. Mark my words, H-D needs to start thinking outside of the "v-twin."
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:08 AM   #78
F451
Founding Member

Thirty years is the average mark where something starts to become collectible, so if you have a Harley that is in good shape, then you should see these types of values. I use Mac's (since 1984 and OS X is great) love 'em, but will also be moving into Linux as it is the wave of the future. StarOffice isn't quite there yet, but it's getting there. Agree with you on Microcrap with Internet Exploder, but not because I like Mac's, but because they could be so much more and never are.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:12 AM   #79
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Luke I am your father....

Oh my. Longride where did you go wrong?

How could you raise a child that way

nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:29 AM   #80
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Luke I am your father....

I told him if he went the motorycle route, he'd end up like KPaul. Straightened that boy right out! Seriously, I'm glad he doesn't like em. Worse than heroin this addiction we have.