Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-22-2003, 05:31 PM   #31
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Hard times coming for Harley?

LOL. That was pretty funny. Sorry Junior, I got my BA in Poli Sci from SDSU. I just didn't make a career out of being a college student.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2003, 05:32 PM   #32
KPaulCook
Banned

LOL Good one, Keep in mind Buz does his market research at the beach. I think you are right on with your thoughts.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 05:35 PM   #33
KPaulCook
Banned

Did you ever expand your market research from the beach to campus? i.e. did you visit the Engineering School at SDSU to see what mopeds the nerds were riding.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:41 PM   #34
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re:

I agree with you but be prepared to take some heat from the Harley Boyz. They think Gen Xers are automatically going to gravitate to cruisers as they get older. I agrue that bikes like naked standards Monsters and Speed Triples along with sport bikes and tourers will be the choice of future bikers.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:47 PM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think you and him are the same guy and you just keep logging in under a different name.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:54 PM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

One thing learned by many business owners who are successful is simple. It's called "know your niche." Businesses get in trouble when they stray from what they do best. That's why Starbucks doesn't sell hamburgers.

I've done a little more beach research and noticed that custom bike builders like Jesse James are wildly popular here in SoCal with the younger set.

The next time you want to do a survey with your college friends, ask them what they would buy if price was no object. I'll bet you'll get a completely different set of answers.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #37
F451
Founding Member

I have two different H-D dealerships in my area: 1) one very hard core "old school" 2) RUBS dealership. Since I have gotten to know the employees at both dealerships, I know that both are laden with bikes that are warehoused and both their floors are sitting with 100th Anniversary models waiting to be purchased. H-D needs to be very careful at this point and start heavily going into other markets with their product line. H-D is too saturated in the v-twin market with too many aftermarket vendors codependent "on the same old thing." The formula is old now and it's time for "new school." What we perceive as part of life is not necessarily so to an investor.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:12 PM   #38
Buzglyd
Founding Member

So the question for you then is what do they build?

Dirtbikes? Been there done that.

Inline 4 sportbikes? The japanese would kill them. Triumphs sportbike sales haven't exactly been stellar.

Don't forget H-D has expanded heavily in foreign markets and has just scratched the surface of the potential sales in Latin America, Europe and Asia. The market is huge.

So what are your suggestions?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #39
Betamax
Founding Member

I'm 41, so I'm not your junior, nor am I still a student...but thanks I guess.

Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:35 PM   #40
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default Nothing stays popular forever, except sex.

A lot of the faithful have been saving their pennies for the last few years to get an aniversary year model. It's logical to assume this could slightly weaken 2004 sales, because a good percentage of the customer base will blow their wads in 03. Probably not the start of a big downtrend. That said, styles and fashions change..... In 10 years, there will be much less cruisers and SUVs on the road. Nothing stays popular forever, except sex.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote