Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-23-2003, 08:00 AM   #91
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Luke I am your father....

Amen! This is one serious addiction, Ive been a junkie since I was 4 with my first 4hp briggs and stratton.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2003, 08:09 AM   #92
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: I love the smell of a Harley thread in the morning.

"We agree the value will fluctuate, right?"

Agreed 100%. I also agree with buying what you love, and not because of resale or low price. I can't justify the low price if I never liked the bike to begin with.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:43 AM   #93
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Hard times coming for Harley? This squid is holding on to the stock for awhile

I agree with you. Imagine the new KTM Vtwin in the Buell chassis.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 09:45 AM   #94
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Luke I am your father....

My 5 year old has already made it very clear that he is getting a Ducati and I will be sitting on the back.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:55 AM   #95
drthompson65
Founding Member

Default Re: Hard times coming for Harley?

It's funny, here in the midwest (MN, WI) you still pay the $5k bump for a stock harley. I can't figure that out at all.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:10 PM   #96
seruzawa
The Toad

It's worth it if we can finally destroy that evil Harley-Davidson company. (sarcasm off)
Old 01-23-2003, 01:03 PM   #97
Betamax
Founding Member

LOL. Next time I'll prefix everything I say with a disclaimer, so you don't get confused.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:12 PM   #98
Betamax
Founding Member

DOS worked fine for me.

Clones were a lot cheaper than Macs on my planet, but maybe it was different on yours.

anyway...back to bikes? I'm done quibbling over minutiae, but don't let that stop you....
Old 01-23-2003, 01:23 PM   #99
ducatirdr
Founding Member

You are soo right. People are getting layed off in droves in the NE area. Most from high tech and financial companies. These were the buyers of big ticket toys and houses. The economy is going down. Remember the mid to late eighties as the economy started to go under bikes sat in the warehouses for years? Let's all hope we have jobs to keep our hobbies going.
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:34 PM   #100
Betamax
Founding Member

If you were honestly looking for something other than spite, then you wouldn't have found it where it doesn't exist.

The previous poster suggested that Harley has made it's profits through marketing rather than through engineering. That's a valid criticism, so how do you read "spite" into it?

Some people here like to point to Harley's record profits for the last 17 years, but they don't seem to understand that those hefty profits were made at the expense of the people who bought their products.

Every business is entitled to a reasonable profit, of course, but whether Harley's profits are reasonable is exactly what's in question.

Many people criticize Harley because they feel that Harley has unjustly ripped off a lot of people by selling them poor-quality products at inflated prices. It's simply a matter of recognizing this injustice, rather than "spite" which leads some to criticize HD. There may well be other reasons, but that's one reason, and it's a valid reason.

Rather than hoping for Harley's destruction, I'd like to see them slash prices to reflect the real cost of goods sold and allow a reasonable profit. I'd like Harley to tell their dealers to sell the bikes at list or they'll be cut off. And so on.

You seem to assume that anyone who criticizes something must hate it; that's simply not so. Some people criticize simply because they perceive faults or injustice and they hope for change.

If I say that I'm unable to see the Emporer's new clothes, it doesn't necessarily follow that I hate the emporer. I'd just like to see him invest in some new threads.