Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-16-2003, 09:18 AM   #71
ValknMag
Founding Member

Default Re: I can almost hear the giggles from here!

I don't like frivolous lawsuits, either, but I take issue with your sentence, 'If you notice, the engines aren't failing but they are being sued for "the potential" of failing and 100,000 is the number THEY say. '

Motorcycle Consumer News has printed letters from those whose bikes _have_ failed, due to the design flaw. The reason the lawsuit was reinstated was that the judge determined the plaintiffs didn't have to experience failure, only the potential of it, to prove they have a defective product. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems fair to me that if they made 100,000 engines of this type and a statistically significant number of basically identical engines have failed, the 100,000 owners of those engines are entitled to compensation.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2003, 09:32 AM   #72
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Defending Corvettes

Well I guess I am wrong then. I thought they had the reliability problems whipped with the current generation. Sure is pretty though.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:34 AM   #73
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Defending Corvettes

Touche` But the thing about Corvettes is they do well in racing right. Sebring and Lemans.

You make a good point about Harley taking the issue head on.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:35 AM   #74
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Class Action Suit

"Harley's lineup is tired and sagging."

By what criteria?

Old 01-16-2003, 09:52 AM   #75
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I have no idea how many actually failed. From all the research I have done on dealers I talk to and internet searches, it seems to be very small. Much like the Y2K "problem" there seems to be lots more hand wringing and doomsaying than actual failures. Harley did say they would fix, for the lifetime of the owner, any failed engine. The 100,000 engines is a lawyer claim, and not Harley's claim. Also, what would be a "statistcally significant number"? 1%? 10% 50%? Harley could have just kept quiet from day one about the thing. They really started this themselves by at least acknowledging there MAY be a problem. Probably, if they were going to mention it, they should have just recalled them all and been done with it, so all the lawyers would be happy. I doubt most of the owners of those bikes really care that much.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:56 AM   #76
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Why a atrociteur owns Harley Stock

Harley an all-star in dividends (click on this)

Special Thanks goes to the Highwayman and the gray pony tailed brotherhood!

If they settled it would be a drop in the bucket

Harley finacial statements
Old 01-16-2003, 09:58 AM   #77
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Harley Class Action Suit

LOL good one
Old 01-16-2003, 10:01 AM   #78
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Why a atrociteur owns Harley Stock

I don't even have to look. I read they made 1 billion in profits in 02. They are projecting selling 280,000 bikes this year, I believe. They are a freight train running downhill. If Harley portrays the plaintiffs as atrociteurs, they may sell even MORE bikes because of the lawsuit. I hear the H-Man is writing their press release right now!
Old 01-16-2003, 10:06 AM   #79
motonut_1
Founding Member

So our manhood will be determined by what we ride, eh, Longride. Boy, does that ever sound prejudicial. Well, currently my garage has 3 Suzuki's in it, DL1000, SV650 and DR 350. However, my garage is in a constant state of flux and over the years has housed BMW's, Ducati's, MZ's, Honda's, Kawasaki's, Yamaha's and Suzuki's. Conspicuous by it's absence is Harley Davidson but not for the reasons you may think. I harbor no prejudices against the Motor Co. They just don't build a bike that fits the kind of riding I do. I test drove the new Buell Firebolt this past year and really did want to like it, but it just didn't happen. I feel no need to adapt my riding to a certain bike in order to fulfill some need to belong to a certain group and the cruiser style bike just doesn't do it for me. However, my mind remains open to future possibilities, unlike some folks. Maybe when Harley lets Buell use the V-Rod motor.......

As to kids on their parents computer, thanks for the compliment. At 56 years old, you're the first person to call me a kid in a long time. You must be ancient!
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 10:13 AM   #80
dean_1
Founding Member

Default Re: But Seriously Folks

Let's not be swayed by the siren song of the class action lawsuit league as they troll by looking for more bodies to jump into the SS P.T. Barnum.

Harley has done more for motorcycling and our country than this bunch.

If the allegations are true and if Harley buyers are anything like they pretend I predict some serious ass whoopin' in a certain Milwaukee parking lot.
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote