Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-16-2003, 08:35 AM   #61
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Harley Class Action Suit

Hey Sarnali, please refrain from posting experience or knowledge on this thread. You're really wreckin' the mood here.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2003, 08:40 AM   #62
sarnali
Founding Member

We pulled some feed pump bearings last week that had cooked, about the only thing left was the inner and outer cages, 7 out of 10 ball bearings and a bunch of gritty grease LOL, these run at a constant 3450 rpm and 220 degrees, when they go you hear them start to grind, if you take them out right then they don't look any different, but leave 'em in an hour or two and they're greasy powder. Maybe with a bike engine that stops and starts you could see deformaties or magna-flux them or something, if you caught them at the right time.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:40 AM   #63
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: I can almost hear the giggles from here!

Well, there you go then. But as mentioned, it happens to all manufacturers, my Tl's frame snapped while riding it, and no, I didn't land any jumps. This was amongst other countless problems. After a little research was done, it was apparent I was not alone even though I was of course given the "never heard of it"line from Suzuki. But I didn't sue, I instead went to the NHTSA thinking that this was a serious safety concern. I even supplied them articles from foreign magazines mentioning this, lists of others dealers dealing with snapped frames etc etc but they showed no interest. When this happens, it is not surprising that lawyers are then involved. It seems that while auto manufacturers are concerned with recalls, bike manufacturers live in denial . Your bike doesn't work? No big deal, most of you are going to take the truck in to work anyway.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:58 AM   #64
Anton_1
Founding Member

A good quality ball or roller bearing should be hard enough, and therefore brittle enough, that once an imperfection occurs it self destructs in a short period of time. I have seen cheaper ball bearings where the balls deform and the bearing still operates dispite the play between the inner and outer races. Also some bearings are chrome plated and the plating can chip off.
Anton_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:59 AM   #65
F451
Founding Member

Overpriced and it can kill you too...now there's a winning combination. Lets' face it, with the exception of the V-Rod, Harley's lineup is tired and sagging.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:01 AM   #66
sarnali
Founding Member

sorry, I forgot,,,,[e'hm],,,,HARLEY'S ARE F'N GARBAGE,,,,,PEOPLE THAT RIDE THEM ARE POSER FAGS,,,,,,SPORTBIKE RIDERS ARE SQUIDS THAT RUN UP EVERYONE'S INSURANCE,,,,,,,,CRUISER RIDERS ARE ALL MIDDLE-AGED FATGUY WANNABEES THAT ARE DRUNK,,,,,,,,,DUEL SPORTS ARE FOR GAYS TO RIDE WHEN THEIR SUBURU'S ARE IN THE SHOP,,,,,,,,,,did I miss anyone?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:01 AM   #67
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm not sure how you could eyeball a roller bearing that is "failing" and not "failed". The only way is if the rollers had flat spots from skidding, or the cages are deforming, but everything is still intact. All I have ever seen is roller bearing good, roller bearing "go boom". He was stating that the mechanic said his bearings were "failing". Something that has 7 of 10 rollers left is "failed". I was just asking if he had an idea of how the mechanic determined they were failing by eyeballing them.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:07 AM   #68
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending Corvettes

What! A two valve push-rod design is world class? Am I hearing KPaul right? Isn't this ancient technology? Next thing you know he will appreciate '90s vintage air cooled Porsches. (For the sarcasm impaired -- I like both 'vettes and Porsches).

One thing no one has mentioned about the bearing problem with the TC88 was that it was acknowledged and redesigned. Harley did replace any bearings that failed, but stopped short of agreeing to repair all bearings in every engine, which may have been a better approach. At least they did not blame the owners as other brands have done.

Again, every brand has issues. If I were to go by reliability on bikes I have owned, Honda would be at the bottom of the list. However, I realize that most hondas are far more reliable than the one particular bike that I owned.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:12 AM   #69
seruzawa
The Toad

Naked streetbikes. You missed the naked streetbikes.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:18 AM   #70
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: I can almost hear the giggles from here!

Let's put it this way, our "playthings" would cost lots more money if we get the lawyers involved. All the "it could kill me" stuff is usually waaaaaay overblown. It's all lawyerspeak for "I need mo' money". I saw a 10 million judgement against Yamaha for a guy who got killed when his throttle "locked up". Probably the only thing that "locked up" was his brain. Even if it did lock up, did he ever hear of pull in the clutch? Motorcycles almost got mandatory leg guards in the 80's when a lawyer was suing every mfg for every leg injury that occured from any accident. He cited "unsafe design". Is this the kind of crap we want? I don't. If anyone is happy this is happening to Harley, sooner or later (bet on sooner) this will be happening to all the other mfgs. and then motorcycles can be as over-regulated as the auto industry.