Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-24-2002, 12:16 PM   #1
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley reports record second quarter

I knew it! The bubble was going to burst, all those "old riders" were going to die off and nobody is going to buy Harley anymore! Er, oh, um, what I mean is, uh, Hey! Way to go Harley! Good to hear they're doing so well, anxiously awaiting that V-Rod engine in future model bikes, too!

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2002, 01:01 PM   #2
Poser
Founding Member

Hmmmm...

They think they are going to get 8.5% return on their pension funds. I wonder how they propose to do that. Also, they "sceuritized" a bunch of bike loans. I believe that really means they sold them. The buyer probably expects some kind of return. I wouldn't buy a bike loan, would you?

Who is their accountant. I would feel better if I knew it was not somebody like Anderson.

If all that money is real (and I hope it is), then maybe Harley Davidson could come up with an SV650 killer and sell me a bike one of these days.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 01:51 PM   #3
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

As a Harley stock holder I am happy. However, as motorcyclist I say ....OK no more excuses invest money an engine for Mr Buell. How about a nice light (read no vrod engine) 90 degree V-Twin liquid cooled that puts out 100 horses or better and that can propel the Bolt and Lighting to Sub 11 second quarter miles. Give Buell an engine and watch sales to 20-40 year olds take off. Please Harley invest in the next generation. VRod was a good start and the Firebolt is almost there.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 02:19 PM   #4
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

KTM is producing a fantastic V-Twin engine that makes power like the Japanese bikes but weighs much less. Harley's resources are far greater so they really should be able to do the same, if so inclined. As an aside, it's a shame that their financial windfall is not being used to improve quality. Before anyone gets mad at this blanket statement, Motorcycleconsumernews published a list this month of all the manufacturers, their recall history over the last few years and came up with a quality index. Lo and behold, who was bottom, even worse than Buell?.....
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:52 PM   #5
jmeyn
Founding Member

Hey, their pension funds are 95% invested in Harley Stock. What could be safer?

(kidding, please)
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 04:20 PM   #6
KPaulCook
Banned

LOL good one
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 04:26 PM   #7
DucButt
Founding Member

Is owning Harley stock better than owning a Harley? I think you're right for now, and I too think they are headed in the right direction. Perhaps I'll own both some day. I have comtemplated buying Ducati stock; perhaps if they really do build the new Supermono as rumored - AND if the 999 does well...
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:08 PM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

what Harley needs to do is set more stringent price controls on thier dealers in regards to MSRP vs turn- you- upside- down-and shake prices, I like Harleys, jingoistic "THE MOTOR COMPANY" crap aside, I'm just to aware to pay a few grand over invoice for what are inferior machines by any objective criteria, and thank you, but I have a lifestyle already, I just like the bikes.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 02:51 AM   #9
fwalters
Founding Member

Dear Harley,

Glad to hear you are doing so well financially.

Please spend some of your fortune building a winning Superbike. Some of us would like to see an American company rule AMA and FIM Superbike racing, and why shouldn't we? Do you realize that you could bring in hundreds of thousands motorcycle racing fans and help to improve the image of motorcycling and racing in the process?

Harley, you have the power to change and impove the motorcycle industry, but will you be a typical corporation and choke to death on your own profits, or will you move on to a higher plane?

Signed,

Sleepless in the Saddle

fwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:16 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If you take "recall history" as an indicator of quality of products then you are sadly misled. The big four NEVER recall something unless they are forced to by some safety agency. Otherwise the new GoldWing would be recalled for an overheating problem that is constant, the Hayabusa would be recalled for the rear subframe breaking and starter clutch problems. The Hayabusa web site even has a petition for a recall on the subframe. I could name many more but I think I made my point. Harley at least owns up to a problem and fixes it. I would rather a company recall and fix something than act like it doesn't exist. The quality of a current Harley product isn't determined by recalls.