Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   Harley-Davidson News (
-   -   Harley reports record second quarter (

sarnali 07-26-2002 12:14 PM

Re: Harley reports record second quarter
Yes as a middle aged baby boomer, I can assure you my portfolio is still smoldering, better luck next time, I guess

DucButt 07-26-2002 02:31 PM

Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation
The word is "denigrated" - look it up.

Here is an example pasted for you:

"This just in. Harley will never cater to the "squid crowd". Too fickle and Darwinsim dwindles the pack down to the ones that will buy Harleys when they grow up and don't squish themselves into a bloody mess."

DucButt 07-26-2002 08:28 PM

Longride, no offense intended by my earlier posts - but I am going on record as saying you do indeed make negative, one-sided statements belittling sport riders. It also seems you think you have all the answers and the rest of us are either ignorant, stupid or just completely wrong. You've enlightened me with many of your sensible posts. I'd like to think you also have an open mind.

DucButt 07-26-2002 08:35 PM

Re: Harley reports record second quarter
fwalters, you and luvmyvfr should be the next staffers at MO. Well put.

mandrake_the_mollusk 07-27-2002 01:18 AM

Well, it's not quite that easy.
You also (usually) have to wait. And wait. And wait. Especially if you want one model just a certain way and aren't willing to take the first thing that's offered due to a cancellation or financing problem.

You'll be doing even more waiting than usual if you want an '03 at MSRP unless you already put a deposit down a long time ago.

longride 07-27-2002 02:05 AM

Re: longride has turned into the KPaulCook of Old!
I'm only going to reply to you with a few thoughts for you to ponder. I will post when and where and anytime I like. I am to the point and on topic here and elsewhere. Your backhanded attitude is dangerously close to getting a "funner" response from me. Obviously, you have the problem, since I believe it's been a long time since I ever responded to anything you ever said. Maybe your jealous and wish you could actually add something to a topic. If you don't like reading my posts please skip them by. If you would like to make another personal attack, you will get the same in kind.

longride 07-27-2002 02:25 AM

Re: Flattracking
I'll answer this because you actually had something to say, even though you are wrong on every count. The Honda factory does not race, Nicky Hayden does. He rides a Harley on the miles and a Honda on the shorttracks. I go watch him at Peoria, Springfield, and DuQuion. See, I don't need a link to see his bike because I have been 3 feet from it many times. The reason Harley races dirttrack would be that they already have a bike that is developed and has been for, oh 30 some years now? It was originally Sportster based, and yes the bike they make is the Sportster. Check the 883 Flattrack edition they make. Would you like a link to the Harley-Davidson page? There is also a Sportster 883 class that I bet you never heard of. Need a link to the AMA page also? So lets sum it up again. Fact. Big four don't race flattrack. Fact. Harley does and makes a bike like it, and has a specific class dedicated to racing a Sportster 883. So, what I said again is somehow true and you again are totally wrong. So, maybe worrying about how wrong I am, and my suffering work, you should actually know something of which you post.

longride 07-27-2002 02:28 AM

Lighter note!
Hey did your clutch slip on the TL? Mine slipped horribly on full throttle over 7000 rpm. I was wondering how common that problem was, as the dealer I went to said he had that complaint all the time, but when i called Suzuki to complain, they said it was isolated and not a common problem. Have any input on it? By the way I really did like that damn TL with all it faults. And yes, sadly my frame broke twice!

longride 07-27-2002 02:39 AM

I do come off a bit negative on the sport crowd. Maybe it's me reaction to all their *****ing every time a review is made that isn't a sport bike. Have you noticed that trend? I certainly don't have all the answers to anything. My Uncle had a good saying to fit this: " I don't know a damn thing about lots of stuff, but don't try to tell me about cars!". He was a career gearhead and racer since he could walk. He knew much and called anyone out that didn't know but talked like they did. There are certain things I know from riding, and racing for 35 years and owning and riding hunderds of bikes in that time. I do call "bull$shyt" on people alot, and maybe too much. Maybe I should let the misinformation, half-truths, and outright lies just pass by. Yes I do come off heavy handed at times, and I realize that. Believe it or not I am trying to be nice! LOL One thing I do not do is make personal attacks. The one you posted was to KPaul and well if you don't know that history....

Personal attacks I will never do unless provoked. Cheers to you too.

longride 07-27-2002 02:58 AM

Firrst of all there are plenty of complaints about the new GoldWing. Maybe you are blind to them but I am not. They have complained about lousy fit and finish, bolts rusting already, paint fading, overheating, horrible sound system, a $1000 dollar CD player that is a POS, and of course there were already 2 recalls you seem to forget. I can send em to you personally if you like. Well, Harley could have acted like Honda did with the GoldWing 1200 stator problem and just let em burn up and never say a word right? I mean they figure those GoldWing owners were not very smart anyway and why say anything when these dupes wont? If Harley really didn't worry about fixing it why say or admit anything? Just play stupid like Honda does! At least they admitted fault and will make things right. Like I said, I don't need to go into each marques problems, of which there are many. I see you used all the cliches in your post also. very good and that scores points. My definition of a "sucker" would be someone that buys a motorcycle for 20 grand and gets 10 for it 3 years later.