Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-26-2002, 06:15 AM   #41
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

The glowing praise for the Goldwing was after a 36000 mile report, from both magazines, not after a single bike test. The 1800 is world's different from the 1500 like your '96, and I'm on many Wing boards too. People are literally orgasmic over the 1800, what are the complaints? Too much power, too reliable, handles too well, too comfortable? As for Harley being so great and not recalling the bikes for the cam bearing problem, well let's see how their thought process went.... "Well, if we recall all the bikes that we should it's going to cost us a pile, so how about we say we do not have records of all the bikes involved. Then we say we will fix it if it breaks. We know most people ride Harleys a couple hundred miles a month, to insure resale value, so the likelyhood of them seeing a failure is remote. Maybe the fourth or fifth owner will see it after it has passed 20,000 miles. By then they may have forgotten it's a warranty issue as it's a used bike..." So they look like good guys because they say they'll fix it if/when it breaks (just hope it doesn't go out on ya in Death Valley), the great unwashed who's idea of a ride is a 20 minute joint down to the local cantina is oblivious, and those on who it does fail are appeased somewhat because even though they were left on the side of the road, their bike was eventually fixed. Suckers.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2002, 06:54 AM   #42
Huss
Founding Member

Er, you have been fooled. Again, Motorcycle Consumer News does not accept any advertising. They do not have anything to gain by misreporting their findings. They have no bias. You, on the other hand, own, ride and service Harleys. That's your business, so who would I believe? And as for filling out five forms meaning it's good.... Look, I got a 77 Oldsmobile 98 that I want to sell you. Seriously it's great, and to prove it I want you to fill out 5 forms telling me all about it...

Good to know you service Harley, at least your choice of brand guarantees plenty of business!

And hey, get off my TL1000 frame snapping bandwagon, I mentioned that first!
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 07:16 AM   #43
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Harley reports record second quarter

Agreed. Currently my main ride is a Suzie GSX1100G, perfect for my 42 mile each way commute. The 600lb weight is great because of the frequent lateral canyon winds we experience. I intend to get an old ironhead sporster to build as a streetfighter as my next project bike. So I'm not a Harley partisan, I like most bikes. The "Jap is crap" attitude of that small segment is stomach turning.

I don't think that HD can legally do anything about the overcharging. Dodge experienced the same thing with the PT cruiser and Ford is experiencing dealer gouging with the new Thunderbirds. Federal Anti-Trust laws forbid manufacturer price fixing. Supply/demand sets the price and rest assued the Japanese are charging all that the market will bear. HD claims that they didn't want to build too much new production facility because they didn't want to have to layoff workers when the market turns down. In a few years you'll probably find the overcharging has run its course. It's dangerous to predict, but I don't think that the used HD market will remain so high for much longer. Especially since the recent Stock Market woes have hit so many middle-aged baby boomers.

Old 07-26-2002, 08:53 AM   #44
KPaulCook
Banned

How do like the new Lightning? Ready to trade that Cyclone in?
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 08:57 AM   #45
KPaulCook
Banned

Excellent post. Good point about Harley has kept motorcycling alive in the U.S. By using their super marketing skills they made motorcycles fashionable. I agree on the racing thing. It would generate enthusiasm and there is a pinned up demand for an American sportbike. Who knows it might turn a lot kids on to motorcycling.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 09:12 AM   #46
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Maybe KPaul. I definitely need to sit on it first. But I like the look of it and the handling will be great.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:26 AM   #47
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: longride has turned into the KPaulCook of Old!

longride, you just didn't get it. Keep posting away, it's your reputation, in a sort of anonymous way. I don't mind your POV, I just tire of reading a "cruiser KPC". Post till you're blue in the fingers.

I never said you said any type of bike is better than another, and as you have written, "where have I posted such?" (although you must admit you've alluded that many are worse than others, or inferior to others, I won't waste my time pointing it out to you if you can't see it).

As for my fourth point, I see you agree with me, I didn't say racing wasn't a waste of money for Harley, as you're so fond of saying, "where have I posted such?" In fact, I said they'd never win, so it would be a waste of money for them! I mereley said racing in general wasn't a waste of money, and you assumed I meant that Harley should race.

I know you'll have to respond, because you can't let anything go, I think of all the time you must be wasting replying to nearly every post, and I hope your work doesn't suffer.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:56 AM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

Take your own advice, longride. Ignore this prick. Plenty of GenXers like Harleys. When I rode my 81 FXEF to family parties my nieces would always beg rides. Now that I'm riding a GSX1100 none of them care.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:07 AM   #49
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Flattracking

I nearly forgot! "Whick of the big four race flattrack?" Why, Honda of course! They've made a RS600 flattrack motor, and Nicky Hayden has won several flattrack races in fact, when he isn't riding his faster bikes. (for a pic of his bike see http://home.sprynet.com/~ttewksbury/hayden.jpg) Now, I don't know if it's a Honda sponsered team (HRC or a dealership) that he's racing for, or if he does it for fun. Does HD make a "dirttracker" that they should race one? I've been in HD stores, and never did find a dirttracker. It was my impression that you bought a motorcycle and modified it for flattrack, so along your lines of thought, even though HD does have a sponsered team, if they race it, why don't they build it?

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 12:02 PM   #50
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: longride has turned into the KPaulCook of Old!

Welllllll,, if your racing your motorcycle,you might launch yourself towards the moon, then you'll surley require health care to become un-squished, then you can tell your fellow MO-ites about it on your computer,,,, Happy now?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote