Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Harley reports record second quarter (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/1316-harley-reports-record-second-quarter.html)

DucButt 07-25-2002 08:24 AM

Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

Valid point, seruzawa - for those focused purely on price/performance. I think most of us purchase a particular bike for many other reasons as well. It's what I call the "ownership experience", or that "visceral pride" you feel while riding, looking at, cleaning, or maintaining your chosen bike.

Longride - I respect your choice of bike. Can you do the same? I am growing very weary of your blanket denigration of the sport bike crowd - speak for yourself; not for me. By the way, I have a one-word retort to your second sentence: "Buell".

KPaulCook 07-25-2002 09:36 AM

I am not asking for Harley to make Squid/replica racer bikes. In fact the reason I picked the ZX-6R over the others was comfront. I would love to buy an American sport bike. I hesitate to use the word sport maybe high performance is better, with a competitive engine. Buell has some great ideas on what makes an enjoyable bike. I don't think it would take $1000.00 more to get there. Heck Buells are overpriced now $10,000 for something that has performance less than a 600. Frankly, right now I would use $10,000 and buy a Honda Interceptor with bags and ABS.

As far as having record sales and earinings in a faultering economny no execuses thing. Hey that must mean there are still plenty of affulent boomers who haven't bought a Harley yet. That's all period. I'll bet the age of the new Harley as actually risen not dropped. Unless Harley moves agressively to market to the 20-35 crowd in 10 years Harley with have a squandered an opportunity. If Buell put out a family (Sport, Naked, Touring) of 100 hp bikes for $8000-10000 with an engine like the TL1000, they would be dominating the 20-35 age group market. In other words all they need is a better engine for the new Firebolt, Lighting, and the soon to be announced Touring model (lower pegs and hard bags) A 3 year warrranty would be great too.

KPaulCook 07-25-2002 09:42 AM

Re: Harley reports record second quarter

Do you really want to spend your hard earned cash on a Sportster when you could have a superior product like the Honda Shadow or V-Star or Vulcan or ....????

I road the Sportser and then a Shadow. Shadow was superior in every way.

KPaulCook 07-25-2002 09:50 AM

Which Harley does 11 sec 1/4 miles? I am just curious cause my MOtorcylist doesn't list any.

Good point about the dealers. Hey that is how the free market works right. Hope you are right about Buell. There is a lot of pinned up demand for an American Sportbike and the Bolt is close but not there yet.

longride 07-25-2002 09:53 AM

Somehow you missed the point badly. Yes there are numerous complaints about Goldwings running hot and overheating. Glad yours isn't one. I had a 97 TL also. Yes they should have had many recalls, but only 2 were done. tank slapping and the gas tank gasket. Recalls are at least a mfgs. willingness to put things right. I never said it was "better" per se, but having owned many Japanese marques that REFUSED to admit a fault I would say it's "better" in some respects. Agree? About the TwinCam bearing problem. Harley didn't have the engine numbers for the ones that had the bad batch of bearings. So they will make good on any that go bad for the lifetime of the engine. How will I feel about getting a total engine rebuild at maybe 50,000 miles for free? Pretty good I would suspect. If I was on a long trip? Well there is no guarantee your bike will make it either.

longride 07-25-2002 09:57 AM

I haven't "degenerated" anyone or any bike. Please copy and paste a post where I did so and there was not an attack first. I like most bikes just fine. I own 2 Harleys, one Honda and one Kawasaki. Does that make you feel better? I also don't trash one at the expense of the other. Sportbikes are fine. I own one. A 2000 ZX9 Kaw. It's good for what it does. It isn't the "be all end all". Can we agree on that? By the way I never spoke for you ever. Where did you get the idea that I did? I never remember mentioning your name in any post I ever made. If I am mistaken then I am truly sorry.

longride 07-25-2002 10:07 AM

Yawn, TwinCam is old news and since you didn't get what Harley did and why then I guess you can believe what you want. I own an FL, and the alignment is easily checkable and serviceable by anyone. Do you own one? Why would MCN need to "publish" these things when they are in the service manual? Maybe the guy that crashed didn't know how to ride. Is that a possibility? Since they sell about 5 times as many bikes as BMW, would they tend to get more complaints? Harleys need riders, not owners. If you can't or are unwilling to check and service your bike or have it done correctly then Honda is the one for you. Appliance like reliability and lifespan.

longride 07-25-2002 10:14 AM

"I am not asking for Harley to make Squid/replica racer bikes. "

Good because they never will.

"Frankly, right now I would use $10,000 and buy a Honda Interceptor with bags and ABS."

I think that is really what you should buy.

"Hey that must mean there are still plenty of affulent boomers who haven't bought a Harley yet. That's all period."

Exactly the market they target right?

"Unless Harley moves agressively to market to the 20-35 crowd in 10 years Harley with have a squandered an opportunity."

In 10 years won't they be the 30 to 45 year old group? New boomers without a Harley? See how that works?? LOL

"If Buell put out a family (Sport, Naked, Touring) of 100 hp bikes for $8000-10000 with an engine like the TL1000, they would be dominating the 20-35 age group market."

Sales show the TL1000 sold like crap. Isn't even made anymore I believe. Some "market domination" eh?

longride 07-25-2002 10:17 AM

There are dealers that sell for MSRP all over the country. All you have to do is look em up.

sarnali 07-25-2002 12:01 PM

I didn't say HD's were crap, I said the whole " THE MOTOR COMPANY" crap, meaning the Spirit in the wind, one true motorcycle, harleys best ***** the rest nonesense that gets so tedious after a while, I personaly think harleys are pretty cool bikes, I don't think they are the best thing since sliced bread, but I do think as a cruiser they're the best total package, I owned and rebuilt and rode the wheels off an 80' amf shovel for quite a few years till I got into sportbikes, and the next bike I get will probably be a Dyna superglide, but I'll still keep my suzuki for a play bike, I don't doubt that you can buy one at MSRP if you look hard enough, I just don't think it should be such a big deal, if the japanese and europeans can stick close to list why can't Harley?