Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-18-2002, 04:40 AM   #51
vickersp
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rod Recall information

After reading the other comments, there seems to be quite a few other manufacturers that have more faith in their product and offer a better warranty. Also you are right about selling the Harley and buying a Honda.
vickersp is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2002, 04:54 AM   #52
vickersp
Founding Member

Actually it is a horrible deal. The bike is only two years old. I bought the extended warranty which has long since been used after the bike was out of its one year warranty. So, I do not get my money back. I wonder what the statistics really are for Harley having to pay back this warranty. I'm willing to bet its a small percentage. And $700.00 is a lot of money. It also encourages people to try and fix small things themselves in order to try not to use the warranty. Or perhaps even ride unsafe vehicles rather than face not getting their money back from the warranty. Either way your a fool if you do not buy this warranty considering only getting one year from the factory. This adds alot to an already expensive machine.
vickersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 04:57 AM   #53
seruzawa
The Toad

Since we're leaping logic all over the place here, Honda has some serious issues with some of their Acura products. Or remember the early Honda cars with the early self-destructing engines? Many would begin burning large quantities of oil after only a couple of years.

HD got the Reagan administration to impose a 3 year protection against Japanese bikes because the Japanese were dumping in the US Market. Dumping is an illegal practice where a manufacturer charges more for a product in one market (in this case Europe) so that they can sell products at near or below cost so as to wipe out the competition. Apparently the Japanese (correctly) saw HD as a threat to their then growing lines of cruisers and decided to take HD out.

Another interesting tidbit is the fact that Suzuki's early monoshock design on their RM series was stolen from an American inventor. He fought them in court for years, but finally gave up since it's virtually impossible in our insane leagal system to win against a corporation with millions to spend on lawyers.

Still love 'em? Japanese corporations are every bit as dirty as any other.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:53 AM   #54
BigDave
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rod Recall information - resale value

You said:

"I have owned over 150 motorcycles in the past 22 years, and made money on just about every one."

I've been riding bikes since the board track days, and I've only lost money on two of the 750+ bikes I've owned since the 20's. One was a '27 Indian 45 and the other was a 76 Benelli Sei.

I wrapped the Indian around a cigar store indian in Silver City NM, and I just got so mad at the Benelli I left it by the side of the road near Canmore in Alberta.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 07:01 AM   #55
BigDave
Founding Member

I actually own a Buell, but I consider myself a Harley owner, and I'm a prick. Just because we don't start insult matches doesn't mean we Harley guys aren't pricks!.
BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:25 AM   #56
john
Founding Member

Not bad news, they sell bikes! and lots of them for a very high price! and they are cheap to produce and R&D!

They are rapidly running out of excuses for not being capable of producing a world class motorcycle. They are so proud to be an American company, but isn't the American claim to fame to do it better, for cheaper?

I am just waiting for Harley to produce bikes capable of dominating ANY class of bikes, not just the class that they have sat in for 50 years. There is no reason harley shouldnt be able to produce a sportbike at a competitive price.

And so you say: yeah, but their market is cruisers.... well their average owner is 44. What do you think the market is going to be in 10 years? I am willing to bet their will be a big migration to sportbikes/standards as they become more comfortable while providing better performance. And all the young people that came up on sportbikes are not going to trade off handling and power just to be on a harley.

In other words, the cruiser market is big right now, but as the age of the average biker decreases, so will the cruiser riding population.

Also, keep in mind that the modern sportbike has not been around very long. within the last 20 years they have changed DRAMATICALLY. That cannot be said of cruisers/HD (except maybe with the coming of the power cruiser , a cruiser that handles, how novel) And that leads me to think that HD is at the top of the pile right now, with nowhere to go but down, since they have no market to expand. Sportbikes/standards however, are just coming into their own, and are really just starting to catch on to a larger population, esp. with bikes like the bandit and ZRX.

Look to europe, where sportbikes dominate the market, 6 out of the top ten sellers there are cbr, yzf, or ZX bikes.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:27 AM   #57
john
Founding Member

Not bad news, they sell bikes! and lots of them for a very high price! and they are cheap to produce and R&D!

They are rapidly running out of excuses for not being capable of producing a world class motorcycle. They are so proud to be an American company, but isn't the American claim to fame to do it better, for cheaper?

I am just waiting for Harley to produce bikes capable of dominating ANY class of bikes, not just the class that they have sat in for 50 years. There is no reason harley shouldnt be able to produce a sportbike at a competitive price.

And so you say: yeah, but their market is cruisers.... well their average owner is 44. What do you think the market is going to be in 10 years? I am willing to bet their will be a big migration to sportbikes/standards as they become more comfortable while providing better performance. And all the young people that came up on sportbikes are not going to trade off handling and power just to be on a harley.

In other words, the cruiser market is big right now, but as the age of the average biker decreases, so will the cruiser riding population.

Also, keep in mind that the modern sportbike has not been around very long. within the last 20 years they have changed DRAMATICALLY. That cannot be said of cruisers/HD (except maybe with the coming of the power cruiser , a cruiser that handles, how novel) And that leads me to think that HD is at the top of the pile right now, with nowhere to go but down, since they have no market to expand. Sportbikes/standards however, are just coming into their own, and are really just starting to catch on to a larger population, esp. with bikes like the bandit and ZRX.

Look to europe, where sportbikes dominate the market, 6 out of the top ten sellers there are cbr, yzf, or ZX bikes.

So really i am not trashing HD at all, just saying that they need to start looking to other markets, especially the sport one, in order to keep up their phenomenal success.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:27 AM   #58
john
Founding Member

and how the hell do i edit/delete a post???
Old 04-18-2002, 09:06 AM   #59
seruzawa
The Toad

Touche'!!
Old 04-18-2002, 10:28 AM   #60
surfimp
Founding Member

Hey, at least it's somewhat related the use of the engine (faulty load testing during manufacturing) rather than some engineering flaw with the engine itself. The fact that they're fixing it is cool, too, and it sounds like of the 155 bikes they believe were affected, not many ended up actually having been sold to customers yet.

I used to ride a Harley, and it was cool, but I now ride a CBR600F4i and haven't ever looked back. Even though my HD was newer ('99), I expected that it would fall apart from time to time and require more maintenance and TLC than say, a UJM or something. I mean, that's what owning a Harley is all about, right? Wrenching and cleaning, with a little bit of riding thrown in to "keep it real". Except mine was usually dirty as hell from riding it too much. LOL

One time one of my mirrors just fell off (broken stem)--I guess that was a little too much vibration, eh? LOL. And this was on a Sportster 1200 Sport--with a rubber mounted engine. I just figured my bike was doing a little bit of "self-chopping".
surfimp is offline   Reply With Quote