Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-17-2002, 10:21 AM   #31
vrodbart
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rod Recall information

seruzawa,

Good point. Come to think of it, I don't recall any insult matches being started by HD owners either.

Also, I'm the PROUD owner of a V-Rod (bought at MSRP) and it's by far my favorite bike out of the 8 that I've owned. There's A LOT of bikes that I'd like to own as well, but none that I'd trade for!
vrodbart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2002, 10:33 AM   #32
Poser
Founding Member

Default Being Feared

Gosh, Rod. I really like the idea of being feared. Where can I get some diet Moxie to try?
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:38 AM   #33
Poser
Founding Member

Default Warranty Length

If you want a longer factory warranty, you have to buy a Triumph. That's it. None of Harley's competition gives a longer warranty, so I don't see the point. I am sorry you had a bad experience with a Sportster. How long ago was that? Maybe the are learning from the past instead of repeating it.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 11:19 AM   #34
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Step Right Up

Well, so far my bandit has had no recalls, but then it probably has about the oldest motor still in existence. *****, that things been around since the first GS1000's. And even with that long past, some 2001 bandit 1200's have had some smoking problems that suzuki is just starting to really fix (the oil rings have gaps that are too large).

I think Harley is going in a good direction. I think most non-cruiser riding motorcyclists have a disliking of harleys because it is hard to justify their cost. Kinda like a Rolls-Royce with lucas electronics.... why pay more to get less? I am not comparing HD to RR, just saying that is the mentality.

But i think harley is finally getting around to giving something that sports riders can be proud of. I dont think there are too many american sportsriders who can be proud of and back an american company for their achievements in motorcycling. I think that Tularis is the closest thing i can say "hey, look at what we can do".

I know harley's market isnt sportsbikes, but it used to be. They were the sportsbikes of their day, and returning to them is really returning to their roots.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:36 AM   #35
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Harley go broke? Not hardley. The factory warrenty is one year that's true. That is exactly the length of the factory warrenty on most motorcycles you might purchase. The only bike I have that had anything longer than that was and is the '98 ST1100 that came with a three year, unlimited miles factory warrenty.

Extended warrenties could be purchased for everything I I've owned including the '00 RoadKing. I could have gotten a five year, warrenty for the Harley but I stayed with the factory warrenty and at 36,000 miles the only work required was during the original 12,000 miles.

To answer your question about the lack of longer term warrenties, no. It says nothing of the sort. It simply fits into the industry standard. Anything beyond that is exceptional and is generally used to get people to buy something that they normally wouldn't.

Yes, I think you are a rider who has had a problem getting proper service from your dealer and its service department. I hope you were able to get your regulator problem repaired and are still riding. If not you might consider selling the Sporty, make a couple grand on the deal and by a Honda.

Thoughtfully,

Derrick

http://www.ridetowork.org
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 12:09 PM   #36
grover750
Founding Member

"So much for Japanese omniscience"

Uh, I don't see any hondas on your list, so I guess Honda shouldn't be grouped in with the other Japenese bikes as far as quailty is concerned. And did HD do anything (besides get the government to implement a tariff to force people to buy their product) in the late 70's and early 80's to help out customers? Free oil pans? (That was actually a serious question, although it was dripping in sarcasm, really, what did HD do back then as far as recalls are concerned?)

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 12:27 PM   #37
flatass
Founding Member

Default Re: Step Right Up

The average age of a new Harley buyer is 44. Over half of all buyers are first time bike riders. (I am not being rude about the age since I am 52 just stating a fact.) Additionally this group had the highest incidence of motorcycle accidents last year 40-55 y.o. Even beating out the 16-21 y.o. a.d.d. kids. That according to the American Insurance Institute.
flatass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 02:21 PM   #38
tshelver
Registered Member

Default Re: R1100S or VFR

I run an R11GS currently, in addition to a Kawasaki Concours.

The experience of dealing with BMW Customer Service, most of their dealers, the expense of dealer maintenance and the 12 weeks the bike has been off the road in 3.5 years have put me off BMW for life.

The 24k service (same as the 12k at my dealer) cost close to $900, and that is excluding the cost of new fuel injectors, throttle body and more that was covered under warranty.

The bike itself is great, but I will stay with Japanese reliability in future.

I was looking to move to a K12RS, maybe keeping the GS, but will now look at the ZZR12 or the FJR13.

The VFR is also a strong contender, as is the ST13 when it arrives.

The Kawi Concours will be staying, the GS will be leaving real soon...

tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 02:39 PM   #39
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Poser has gone subscription!

Funny, first I have to pay for MO, now I have to pay to get posts from other MO-ites! What is the world coming to?

Actually, I think the point of Hadji's post was if I was looking for a slightly different kind of cycle, as the R1100S, oh do I feel silly, I was thinking of BMW's Adventure Touring bike, the R1150GS, which is totally different than the R1100S. Hadji probably is wondering what the hell I was talking about. Whoops. I actually did consider a R1100S (though not a Sprint ST, my cousin owned the aforementioned Triumph Tiger and he talked me out of ever buying one, what with problems with FI mapping on some of their bikes, and the prohibitive reparation costs), but only a couple of BMW Stealerships here in the Seattle area, and I didn't really like how I was treated there. To be honest, the Beemer that really caught my eye was the Pacific Blue Metallic K1200RS. What a beautiful big bike! But the "you don't belong here, youngster" looks I got from the salespersons, and the fact I couldn't engage any of them in conversation led me right out the door.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 02:43 PM   #40
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Not just Harley

If they were so intent on doing the right thing, they would have recalled the twin cam 88, which is prone to cam bearing failure, instead of telling their costumers, (at the dealer level) that when their engines start to make nasty noises, they ( the costumers) have to wait until the part fails, before anything can be done, in other words, when it brakes, we will fix it. Is that the way to treat the faithful? After they have spent their money? I don't think so, I will never buy their product!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote