Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-17-2002, 06:14 AM   #21
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Step Right Up

Rod,

I wholly agree with you about nobody taking anything serious. I like to kid around about many kinds of motorcycles, not just cruisers. Sure, Harley is an easy target (easy to pick on a stereotype that isn't a PC issue, too) but I think they built a great machine when they made the V-Rod.

Machine evolution is like a bush, branching out in many directions, with the tip of each branch the pinnacle of that form of machine. Harley has it's own branch, well, shares it with some Japanese cruisers, but Harley owns the branch, more or less. Sportbikes have their branch, cruisers, super motards, Dual-purpose, dirt bikes, ATVs, spourt-touring, etc, etc.

In answer to your first statement, My '99 VFR800FI has not had a recall (as far as I know) is that what you meant? Or did you mean the manufacturer never had a recall on any of the machines they produced? I saw a guy on a PC800 yesterday and thought of you He looked like he loved his ride.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2002, 06:29 AM   #22
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: VFR or R1100S...

I've ridden both of these bikes, but I wouldn't say that the R1100s is as comfortable-the pegs are higher and the clip-ons abit lower. HP is about the same, but if you're used to revving the bejeezus out of the engine you're gonna bounce off the limiter alot. Conversely, the pull hits at much lower revs, so...

v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 06:46 AM   #23
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default New Ride

Waiting for the FJR still, I haven't ridden the R1100s, I've ridden a Triumph Tiger, and I know they're totally different, but I didn't like the super upright position, and it felt like, how do I describe it... You know when you drive a nice Cadillac or Buick Park Avenue? You can be hauling arse, but it feels like you're going 45 mph? It was kind of like that. I like a little stiffer suspension. It was a great bike, it would just take a lot of getting used to, both in looks as well as handling. The BMW on the other hand, is a little easier on my eyes, but I'm not there yet in my motorcycle owning journey. I'll bet in 10 years, I could see myself on one.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 07:44 AM   #24
vickersp
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rod Recall information

I'm surprised Harley is doing anything at all. They sure didn't for the faulty voltage regulators on the Sportsters. I got burned for this. Considering their Industry Leading Warranty Program (1-year!!!!), when compared to other manufacturers, I am not sure about overall reliability anyway. I wonder how Harley would stack up against other manufactures in post-sales warranty repairs? I wonder how many two-year and three -year failures there are? Doesn't lack of a longer term warranty tell us something about the product? (i.e. - Harley would go broke warranting anything longer than one year) I guess I'm just a sorry-assed Harley owner that got burned by the dealer and the motor company.
vickersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 07:49 AM   #25
zombywoof
Registered Member

Default Re: I thought Honda was THE

They must have forgotten to add "liquid" ... not used to....
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:01 AM   #26
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rod Recall information - resale value

Banks hold anything built by Harley in high regard. I paid $17,100 out the door for my 2000 RoadKing (old man bike) and it had what I wanted on it. My bank was ready to loan me $18,500. They actually asked me, "Are you sure you don't want anything else added to your motorcycle?"

Their little book had the loan value on the FLHRI at $19,500. The current blue book retail price is $20,400.

I've only sold one bike in my life that I made money on and that was my Wife's V-Star 1100. That's not to say we got more than originally paid but we didn't take a bath on it like we did on the other bikes that have shared our garage space.

I don't buy bikes for the resale value. I buy them to ride the way I like to ride. Hell, I wish my body could handle some of the modern sportbikes that are coming out. It's nice to know however that I have a vehicle that is going up in value rather than the others I've owned.

Thanks.

Derrick

http://www.ridetowork.org <--- Ride To Work day is coming up. If you can't join the organization at least ride to work July, 17th, '02 so we can collectivly snub our noses at the cagers.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:54 AM   #27
EP
Founding Member

Hey! I loved my old Pacific Coast! Bought it new in the last year they were made. Honda dropped the price from $8,699 to $6,699.

Full wind protection

Comfortable ergonomics for 2

Self adjusting valves and shaft drive. Low Maintainence!

3 year/36,000 mile warranty

And of course, the TRUNK!

At that time, and at that price, it was the best bike for the dollar (for me).
EP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 09:27 AM   #28
EP
Founding Member

*laughing*

Yeah, it looked like a big scooter. As a matter of fact, I traded it for a new green ZRX1100, after some kid thought it was a scooter. Mine was red, with the new smaller front fender. It was my first bike, and was excellent to learn on. I only rang up 1300 miles before trading it.

Never drank Moxie. Why am I guessing that it is some kind of fruity drink that mostly women like? *lol*

I miss that old big scooter sometimes!
EP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:16 AM   #29
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: New Ride

The Tiger is not really the Triumph competitor to a VFR. The bike you want to try is a Sprint ST. It will rev better than a BMW, burn less gas than nearly anything- important if you are going long distances. It looks better than a Tiger, but what doesn't.

OK, that will cost $.02, or do I have to pay you?
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:20 AM   #30
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Not just Harley

It sounds to me like they are doing the right thing- recalling potential problem bikes. Operative word here is potential. Nothing bad has happened yet.

Maybe I will consider a Harley when I am too old to keep riding Triumphs. It might be a while. By then, they will have all the bugs worked out. I might be able to affoard a used Harley by then, too, if I start saving now...
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote