Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-30-2002, 03:23 PM   #1
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Screamin' Eagle V-Rod hop-up

I quite fail to see how running sans airbox lid would "damage the engine", as it's a common stunt on any number of other bikes. As to the sound, it is definitely unique...not too much traditional Harley note there, but more of a TDM-style blat methinks.
A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2002, 03:23 AM   #2
Grover
Founding Member

From what I know/speculate, the fuel map is already about as lean as you can get for emissions, running without the airbox lid could cause an over-lean condition which, over time isn't such a good thing.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 05:28 AM   #3
98Viffer
Founding Member

The sound to me sounds a lot like my 96 Magna did with its 4-into-4 exhaust. Of course, it was a V-four, but the cadence and quick revving sounds less like a Vtwin.

Now, I'm a sportbike guy, owning several VFRs and now a VTR1000, and I've done my share of Harley bashing over the years. But I have to tell you, if I was gonna buy a cruiser, (and had the extra cash that Harley will undoubtably rape its customers for) this would be it. IMO, nothing else out there comes close in the stylilng department, and the engine is a beaut. Love the tubular frame and clean look.

Harley, I tip my rice-rocket-riding hat to you. Nice work.
98Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 07:02 AM   #4
Huss
Founding Member

If only the new VFR had this kind of output...
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 07:18 AM   #5
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default A little expensive

OK, I should know that if you have the cash to shell out for an expensive cruiser plus the "vaseline tax" then a $150 for "recalibrating" the EFI should not be too much... but it still bothers me that they charge this much when installing the latest EFI map on my Triumph is only $60 (if they do it as part of the regular maintenance they don't even charge you extra!!!).

Whatever, I guess that if you gotta have it then you gotta have it no matter how much you'll have to pay for it. Bikes are about passion not financially sane decissions.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 11:33 AM   #6
intruderman
Founding Member

Screw the V-rod, I want to try the firebolt.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 11:49 AM   #7
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Forbes, a girl, and the V-Rod....

The other day while waiting to get a table at a local vietnamese resturaunt, I picked up a copy of Forbes that happened to be laying on a chair because the cover story was about Harley-Davidson. Inside was a beautiful picture of the V-Rod. I held up the magazine and asked the current prospective date, who was with our group, if she liked it. She said "motorcycles scare me." Should I even consider dating this girl? I mean, I might be able to coax her on to the back of my R1, and she may learn to like riding with me. However, could her apprehension be a bad sign? Should I wait for the next girl who is turned on by bikes and solicits a ride on mine? Decisions decisions.....
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 12:35 PM   #8
Pacer
Founding Member

If they can get the Firebolt up over 100 horse with bolt-ons I will start saving up for the down payment right now.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 12:36 PM   #9
Pacer
Founding Member

Default Re: Forbes, a girl, and the V-Rod....

Give her a ride, including an healthy roll on. If she doesn't like it leave her to the curb.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 12:45 PM   #10
fizzchem
Founding Member

I must be the only one who thinks that this bike is ugly. The pipes are horrendous and very Suzuki Marauder like. The radiator is a huge eyesore. The stalk for the instruments looks like a reject from "War of the Worlds". The exposed frame is a likeness of a road upon which I'd like to ride. Don't get me started about the flying saucer wheels either.

Apparently it goes like bread through a goose, though.

Now the VMax is pretty much just as fast, and how much cheaper?

fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote