Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #41
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"The inequities of the free market are legion."

True enough, but when those workers drive that 'inequity' back to the company, they are somehow worse than the CEO's? Not in reality. Until management starts playing by the rules, don't expect the same from the other end. The sword cuts both ways.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #42
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I'm not greedy. I just really like money.

So are we buying HOG or not? Can't you damn mofos ever stay on the topic????
Got yer year's food supply and some water storage? Guns? Ammo? Sturdy clothes for the next few years? An escape route from SoCal planned out? Teeth fixed? Extra gasoline? Any other necessities to ameliorate shortages in staple goods?

If so then buy all the luxury company stock your heart desires. It's as good a way to toss money as any.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #43
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I wouldn't do HOG. People don't need motorcycles, and spare income will be at a premium for a couple years at least. HOG will fall lots farther before they go up IMHO. I have been wrong before though.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #44
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I wouldn't do HOG. People don't need motorcycles, and spare income will be at a premium for a couple years at least. HOG will fall lots farther before they go up IMHO. I have been wrong before though.
Pretty good thinking. I'd figure that the best investments right now would be in basic solid goods. Staples like oil and gas will recover because they always do. Govt bonds? If they go we are truly screwed.

Luxury items are a looooong bet. Very long. I'd bet motorhome, travel trailer and pleasure boat companies will be mostly gone soon. Custom choppers.. anything that people re-fi for.... get the chop.

Trucks and SUVs are still gathering dust even though the Big3 are offering HUGE discounts and sweetheart financing.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #45
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Pretty good thinking. I'd figure that the best investments right now would be in basic solid goods. Staples like oil and gas will recover because they always do. Govt bonds? If they go we are truly screwed.

Luxury items are a looooong bet. Very long. I'd bet motorhome, travel trailer and pleasure boat companies will be mostly gone soon. Custom choppers.. anything that people re-fi for.... get the chop.

Trucks and SUVs are still gathering dust even though the Big3 are offering HUGE discounts and sweetheart financing.
Gambling and booze always do well in a downturn.

Don't forget H-D bought MV Agusta. How do you say albatross in Italian?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #46
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Gambling and booze always do well in a downturn.

Don't forget H-D bought MV Agusta. How do you say albatross in Italian?
Maybe we should invest in a couple more stills for Matt?

And, come to think of it, home entertainment products might be a good bet? People are already staying away from restaurants and theaters.

Last edited by seruzawa : 11-18-2008 at 01:17 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm figuring ammunition and assault weapons will be a pretty good investment. The prices of each should at least triple when the Dems sink their teeth in.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I'm figuring ammunition and assault weapons will be a pretty good investment. The prices of each should at least triple when the Dems sink their teeth in.
They are already on the way up! Gun stores are selling out all over the place. Except in places like Chicago where self-defense is reserved for gang members and politicians.... basically the same thing, I guess.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #49
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
So are we buying HOG or not? Can't you damn mofos ever stay on the topic????
If you are buying long term (36+ months), I would say yes.

But Harley will be hit pretty good in the coming quarters as they are a luxury and lifestyle purchase. The next 3 quarters should show quite a drop in sales.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #50
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
" So they have to deal with the market they have today and they have to face the reality that there isn't a magical hidden font of unlimited wealth."

Does that go for the CEO and all the White Shirts too? It hasn't so far! So when the CEO gives himself another million buck bonus and all the White Shirts get big bonuses for the year, they then go to the Union and ask for concessions? That is the history of the US Auto Industry in a nutshell.
I have no problems with CEO and upper management salaries and bonuses. But I do have a problem when they are not tied to performance. How banks, AIG, and others are still paying out bonuses while grabbing government cheese, laying off low rung workers, and filing huge losses is just complete BS.

And I still don't think GM should be bailed out. That void will be filled by other smaller American based auto manufacturers.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote