Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 10-21-2001, 03:27 PM   #21
huskerdu
Founding Member

Default Re: Things are getting stoopid

maybe the target market for the bike is rich women ;->
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2001, 03:42 PM   #22
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default THEY DON'T KNOW MATH!!!

Check out their buyer demographics:

45% have owned a motorcycle before

25% are first time buyers

Would you purchase a motorcycle from someone who doesn't understand that 70% is not the same as 100%?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 07:03 PM   #23
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: "Performance First" and Nighthawks

Considering that a Nighthawk 750, single front disc, rear drum and all, generated one of the shortest stopping distances of all the bikes Das Motorrad ever tested, I wouldn't scoff too hard at it...

BTW, what is fundamentally wrong with drum brakes? Especially at the rear, where they are controlled with mechanical rod linkages that won't break like cables or leak like hydraulic lines?
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 03:51 AM   #24
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I haven't been on a Nighthawk, but I do ride a Shadow 600 (another Honda with a dual-piston front disc and rear drum) and I am very dissatisfied with the braking power on it. If the brakes on the Nighthawk are stronger and better, great--because by Shadow brakes are "good enough" for a 35 horsepower machine but not at all strong enough for 70hp.

As for the drum versus disc--I don't understand the mechanics involved, but I assumed that discs were stronger. Any mechanical engineers out there?
Old 10-22-2001, 08:16 AM   #25
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Sez you. :Þ
Old 10-22-2001, 10:19 AM   #26
metal
Founding Member

Perhaps they should. Not trying to be negative anyone personally here, but I'm consistantly amazed how every mainstream TV show about motorcycles profoundly omits the subject of racing when talking about Daytona. Considering the hangout got started there around races that are still put on by AMA and bring so much talent, it's almost like a conspiracy.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 12:44 PM   #27
tbuse
Founding Member

Rigid Fury? How stupid can you get? You sure this isn't a promo for an X rated movie star?
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 06:50 PM   #28
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Well, I don't watch the other TV shows about Daytona either And honestly, though maybe I'm morally obliged to watch motorcycle racing, I really don't care. It doesn't hold my attention. I'm sure not everyone who enjoys a morning jog likes to hear about (or watch) Michael Johnson's latest sprinting victory, or Frank Shorter's marathon wins. Motorcycling is no different.

Though I understand the constant MOnews posts about racing are important to some people, I would leave this site if MO didn't stay primarily focused on street riding.
Old 10-23-2001, 06:44 AM   #29
das
Founding Member

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but, if by "strength" you mean "braking force", then you don't understand the problem. You can lock up the wheel with a drum brake. How much more raw braking force do you want?

I'm not a brake expert either, but I think the superiorities of disc brakes have more to do with things like heat buildup, initial bite, the ability to hover near lock-up with out crossing the line, the ability to quickly recover from a lock-up, and things like that.

Of course, with motorcycles, factors like weight distribution, tires, size of tire contact patch, wheelbase, and suspension setup are all probably bigger factors than the brakes themselves (on today's motorcycles) when measuring braking performance. That's why you get many bikes that don't have the latest-and-greatest, top-shelf braking componentry at or near the top of the list.

Which isn't to say that brake components are irrelevant... I want all the braking performance I can get, and good brakes really are better than bad ones.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 08:56 AM   #30
12er
Founding Member

Ride to freedom on a Rigid? They should change it to "Ride to the Chiropractor" or "Ride to the Proctologist" when your 'roids flair up from all the bung abuse...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote