Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 04-26-2001, 06:08 AM   #21
ignoramus_squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Borile B500CR Feedback

It would almost be a shame to put the headlight on it.

This is the first Italian bike I have ever liked at first look.
ignoramus_squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2001, 07:08 AM   #22
Copper
Founding Member

UGLY

I've got a <ul>pretty[/list]500 cc single that kicks this things butt. It was made in 1989 and 1990 and none of you saps bought one back then. GB500.
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 07:49 AM   #23
GboroGoose
Founding Member

They tried with the GB500 and it didn't sell. Of course the tradeoffs they made for suspension and brakes vs. price didn't help.
GboroGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 07:49 AM   #24
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I think you're looking at it all wrong... Your GB500 IS a pretty retro-bike... very pretty. But I also think the Borile B500CR is ALSO a very nice looking bike. Different, but nice. I don't think it was meant to look like a faithful reproduction of retro bikes, but more like a modern interpretation of what was good about the old bikes: Their simplicity, light weight, high fun factor, etc., and I think Umberto Borile did an outstanding job of capturing that in a modern package.
Old 04-26-2001, 07:54 AM   #25
GboroGoose
Founding Member

I'd have to agree here. JB (met him in Daytona some time ago) did some amazing things on his own. Harley still can't recreate it with their millions. But then I heard somebody say 9 women couldn't create a baby in 1 month. Likewise, John didn't have to argue with design team members. He just figured out how to do it an did it!
GboroGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 08:16 AM   #26
Gabe
Founding Member

Default Exactly!

And this is one reason I wouldn't cry that much if horsepower limits were legislated. The manufacturers would respond by making bikes lighter and lighter.

If they can stuff 145HP into a 400 pound bike, why not 72HP in a 200 pound bike? It would be WAY more fun, and cheaper to operate, insure and buy.

Imagine a 300 pound sportbike with a 90 HP engine and brakes strong enough to shoot you over the handlebars, and WSB spec suspension. All for less than $10k. That's what they should be building, because let's face it Gixerboy, more than 90 HP is a waste on the street, but we can all use less weight, more brakes, and better suspension.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 08:51 AM   #27
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

No doubt your GB 500 kicks this thing's butt in the 3 ilitys (reliability, civility, and parts availability) but with 60+ H.P., 230 LBS, and modern wheel / tire combinations, this thing will peel the skin off of your GB. Sign me up, I'll take two.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:35 AM   #28
Gabe
Founding Member

Default 8k too much?

If this bike cost as much as an F4i, you wouldn't buy it? But what if it were more fun to ride and taught you more about fast riding? Plus, if you factored in resale (Dukes, MZ's, Huskys, ATK's, and other limited production bikes hold their value pretty well) it would really be cheaper than a Japanese 600, even at $8k.

If it was a true daily driver and had high-quality components, 8k would be cheap.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 10:56 AM   #29
starvingstudent
Founding Member

This is the best "new fashion" motorcycle I have ever seen. If it came to the US, I'd get one--if it wasn't too tall for me (I'm 5'6" and short legged). I absolutely love the minimalist lines. We need more of these.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 10:57 AM   #30
starvingstudent
Founding Member

For the younger generation, this is as cool as Jet Li riding a Return of the Jedi speederbike.

And I like the loopy side tubes.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote