Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 05-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #71
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: Biodiesel Motorcycle?

He's right, I see people driving old diesel VW cars around Seattle with stickers saying they buy biodiesel from the pump in Ballard that sells it.

I see one every week or so. Usually they're out of gas by the side of the road, rolling out their sleeping bag.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #72
ksquid
Banned

kreb sickle aren't you still stinging from our last encounter. Do you want me to give you the business again today? Hey after you go to jail you will be living in a VW Bus down by the river (Chris Farley Saturday Night Live voice)
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #73
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Yes, But....

I think given a little time and engineering, you could design an IC engine to run on almost any combustible liquid. Alcohol works great, french fry oil, etc. The problem in my mind is that once any particular energy source becomes widely used, the price will inevitably go up. Nobody wants to use less energy, we all want to use more energy, more cheaply and with less environmental impact. I consider "Flex Fuel," biodeisel, and similar fuels stop-gap remedies with no real future. Eventually, the cost will rise or the environmental impact will be prohibitive. Growing corn, for instance, isn't exactly environmentally friendly. Even wind farms suck if you have to live near them. Hydroelectric screws up the rivers, solar is still a long way out.

A long time ago, my chemistry teacher laid out a simple hydrogen based energy economy. Nuclear power plants produce cheap, clean electric power, at far less risk and with vastly reduced pollution than coal or oil. (I'll argue the nuclear waste versus the coal ash waste disposal or the "safety" of oil versus nuke plants, with anyone who's interested). The nuke plants provide the "static" energy via the power grid. You can run battery cars and bikes that way. For more robust, higher capacity requirements, you use the cheap electricity to make hydrogen. You can burn it, producing water and air for exhaust, or power fuel cells (as on the Space Shuttle) for lots of power in a small package.

After WWII, the predictions were for electricity that would be too cheap to meter. You'd pay a small service fee for the facilities to produce and deliver it. However, free energy means a free society, and takes a lot of money out of too many pockets. But, revolutions have happened before, and I think it won't take too many years of high petroleum prices before we're all open to some new ideas. By the way, using petroleum for fuel is like burning the contents of the Library of Congress to stay warm. Petroleum is vastly more valuable to us in the long run for plastics, medicines, paints, or the other thousands of non-fuel uses. Our kids are going to hate us for blowing it all on fuel.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #74
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Yes, But....

Excellent Post.

Nukeyleer (Bush voice) plants are definitely the way to go from a cheap energy stand point. The French have been going that way for years. Funny they may get the last laugh on us (if not already on the Iraq war).. French have the best medical system in the world, fastest trains, more nuclear plants. At one time France was are best ally... Remember the Statue of Liberty was gift from them.. You think us Americans are open minded enough to learn something from them.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #75
rspec106
Founding Member

The thunderstar diesel looks pretty nice.
rspec106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #76
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I really do see about one per week. And this town is the center of the biodiesel revolution.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Old 05-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #77
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Just a little turd, making little poopy smells.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #78
testcase
Founding Member

True. They're absolute cutthroats when it comes to internal security, accept racial profiling as common sense, and view civil liberties as being non-applicable to any non-French.

We could use some of that here for our own domestic issues.

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #79
ksquid
Banned

Go read the links I supplied so you won't be so ignorant..bout such stuff..
Old 05-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #80
fumanchu
Founding Member

"...At one time France was are best ally..."

"...are best ally..."(?) it's like sandpaper on my cornea.

anywho... nicholas sarkozy was elected president of france last week - the french are going to start swapping cookie recipes with us again.