Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 06-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #81
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Oh, the agony...

That is sufficient payback for my chaffed thigh visual, Van.

Please, make it stop.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #82
JBAXX
Registered Member

Default Re: Are modern sportbikes engineered too close to the edge?

Exactly.
JBAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #83
JBAXX
Registered Member

Can't hardly get 20 year old CAR parts!
JBAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:48 PM   #84
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh, the agony...

Hey. I make a pretty damn goodl looking Batgirl, except for the two day growth of whiskers, and my 55 year old beer gut!
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #85
wfowade
Founding Member

Default Re: Too close to the edge?

I happen to be married to a Phd in Aerospace Engineeering that worked at NASA Langely on the why/how's of the Aloha Airline Mishap. The structual failure that happened occured in an area of the airframe that could not be inspected without taking it apart. The failure occured at a specific rivet and when that area failed, the crack propogated down a line of rivets just like a zipper. It is really a miracle that Boeing made it back to the runway.

As an aviator, I follow this stuff carefully too. My personal airplane is a Bellanca Super Viking with a tubular (trellis?) steel frame covered in fabric coupled to a wooden wing. I get lots of jokes about having a termite bond on my airplane but wood has a near infinite fatigue life. While wood won't make a good motorcycle frame, I do like the fatigue properties of the wood wing/steel frame combo.

Regarding the previous mention of the T-34 wing spar problem, recent engineering studies showed that the spar lifespan (defined as the point at which cracks would appear at a rougly 50 percent rate) ranged from nearly 900,000 flight hours to as little as 6,500 flight hours depending on the loading placed on the wing. Simulated aircombat was extremely tough on the airframe while training resulted in essentially an unlimited lifespan. Motorcycles frames are no doubt similar.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #86
pattonme
Founding Member

Default er, you mean the ZR7

The KZ was a nice try but Kaw did right by the engine by putting it in the ZR. Pity they didn't put the ZX6R forks, shock, wheels, and brakes on it even though they bolt straight on!! Fsking cheap-skate bean counters.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #87
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I know a Geezer...

In the SF Bay area with a 2000 R1. He's a retired airline mechanic. His bike has over 250,000 miles on it. He does NOT baby this bike! He has literally worn holes through the bodywork from rock chips, and I've heard he likes to trick people into following him on his favorite twisty road so they crash. (I am not condoning that! Just saying I've heard he does it.)

He said he has replaced two valve shims! Plus a wiring harness, alternator, and a few other odds and ends. By the way, I worked at the dealer and I've seen the bike many times.

If I know BMW's at all, I'd say you have tossed a few bucks into BMW's corporate bank account via your mechanic or parts counter.

I think these new bikes are actually better designed and more reliable than your red princess, Van. And that's saying a lot! It's just that 80% of them are wrecked or abandoned by stupid, terrified or bored owners before they see 30,000 miles.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #88
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I know a Geezer...

In the SF Bay area with a 2000 R1. He's a retired airline mechanic. His bike has over 250,000 miles on it. He does NOT baby this bike! He has literally worn holes through the bodywork from rock chips, and I've heard he likes to trick people into following him on his favorite twisty road so they crash. (I am not condoning that! Just saying I've heard he does it.)

He said he has replaced two valve shims! Plus a wiring harness, alternator, and a few other odds and ends. By the way, I worked at the dealer and I've seen the bike many times.

If I know BMW's at all, I'd say you have tossed a few bucks into BMW's corporate bank account via your mechanic or parts counter.

I think these new bikes are actually better designed and more reliable than your red princess, Van. And that's saying a lot! It's just that 80% of them are wrecked or abandoned by stupid, terrified or bored owners before they see 30,000 miles.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #89
sarnali
Founding Member

I've been giving those a serious look-at myself. A 1200 Roadster with Progressive shocks and springs and a decent seat would be an ideal playbike. Having a dealership on every corner and unlimited parts availability is a real plus as well.

Once you get past the beanie helmet and do-rag bullsh*t they're pretty decent bikes.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:18 AM   #90
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: I know a Geezer...

Wow 50,000 miles a year on a R1 for five years in a row! This guy is probably not a geezer, just a reeeally crippled looking twenty something. VWW

BTW I wonder how his aluminum frame, and suspension would hold up after 30,000 miles of bumpy dirt riding?
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote