Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 06-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #71
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: Are modern sportbikes engineered too close to the edge?

Used to adjust the valves every 8,000 miles on my V65 Magnas (well, I'd *check* them evey 8,000 miles: they usually didn't move much). Of course, these were locknut valve adjustments-most shim under bucket valves are still easy to check and seldom (read: never) out of spec.

The much vaunted reliability of BMW bikes is being called into question these days on several of their bulletin boards-check around. This isn't to say that they are crap, but that they aren't any more reliable than most bikes. My question then becomes "why pay a premium for dependability if it isn't realized by comparison to other rides?"

Bryan...and I kinda like the Teutonic paintshaker...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2005, 11:44 AM   #72
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: off topic

I'd like to know what makes Dave so famous?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #73
christian_gates
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't Forget Sport Ute's

I disagree. The so-called "SUV" (Explorer, Expedition, Envoy etc.) generally isn't much good for anything - on road, they are unwieldy, top-heavy, get crappy gas mileage, and have inferior storage capacity; off-road, due to on-road compromises, they lack any sort of performance at all and usually are worse than a Subaru or Volvo wagon.

What I like to call 4x4s, though, are a different story, and a better analogy. They are good offroad, and not good on the road (Jeep Wrangler, the older Pathfinders, 4 Runners etc., the Land Rover vehicles etc.).

Sportbikes actually are fantastic on the track and for slicing up open-ish twisties in the mountains, whereas your SUV is totally useless everywhere except maybe stopped in front of an elementary school or in the drive-through line at MacDizzles.
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #74
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

7:30
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #75
fireworks
Founding Member

Honestly, I don't know. I just figured that they couldn't be hugely different from the Japanese. They're pricing in Europe is very competitive compared to say Ducati, and they do sell a number of units every year. Once you factor in Triumph's reuse of parts...
fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #76
seruzawa
The Toad

He's famous because it says so on the sign, dummy. Don't you know anything?

Don't tell me you've never heard of World Famous Tommy's either.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:27 PM   #77
seruzawa
The Toad

Most of the desert rats I go off road with in Utah use pickups. My 3/4 ton easily outperforms any Exploder, Montero or Navigator and carries a massive payload. Wait a second. I can't think of a time that I've seen any of those pansy@ss SUVs in a real offroad situation. Certainly nowhere near Elephant Hill.

Never mind.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #78
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Great topic!

That's interesting... for my next bike I'm looking at the SV, the CityX and the new little Multistrada.

The Multi is ready to go "as is", I can't think of any mod I would make. That is an incredibly balanced and well thought out bike

With the CityX all I would do with that is put the big ASB wind screen on it and remove the passenger pegs. The streetfighter seat from the S version is just a swap-out if you prefer that.

The SV would be more a project bike... front fork & rear shock/spring replacement, brake upgrade, etc. but when you were all done the SV would probably be the best bike of the three
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #79
christian_gates
Founding Member

Exactly my point. Exactly.

They don't work in those situations. I think Car and Driver had a scathing review of the Ford Escape's offroad capabilities - or lack there of - recently.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #80
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

What you say about the new BMW's reliability being no better than most new offerings is true. My old style carbureted air head is reliable as the sun, however. I like the idea of computerized fuel injection, but when something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere the guy that designed it couldn't fix it with a trailer full of tools. BTW the valves on my bike seldom go out of adjustment, and when they do it take less than 30 minutes to put them back, with the bike's tool kit. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote