Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 06-02-2005, 08:10 AM   #61
jjasper
Founding Member

Default Re: Great topic!

I was a little disappointed with the CityX, when I sat on it. I had gone and tested a Lightning XB12S and found it surprisingly comfy. The only thing I had to get used to was the, "Ahhh, I am on top of the front tire" feeling you get when you sit on a Buell. When I got back from my test ride they had just uncrated a CityX. It was a great looking bike, but when I sat on it I immediately notice the seat was MUCH taller than the XB12S and seemed firmer too. On the XB I could easily flat foot but on the CityX I was on my tippy toes. If the CityX had a better seat and ABS I might have gotten it, the XB12S was a bit too crazy for me. The new Buells have excellent fit and finish and look to be well made and reliable.

In the end I bought a BMW F650 CS. It isn't as pretty or exciting as the Buell, but it has low maintenance belt drive like the Buell, has ABS brakes, a VERY comfy seat, VERY comfy ergos, and like the Buell it carries it's weight very low (because the gas tank is under the seat) so it feels very light and turns on a dime, It also came with heated grips, and accessory socket where you can attach a trickle charger, heated accessories, or GPS. It is MUCH slower than the Buell and just about any bike 600cc and over, but it blows away most cars so that if fine by me. If the CityX had a low and comfy seat and ABS option I would have gotten that over the BMW in a second. I had an SV-650 before (better looking carb version) and if it had better suspension and a little more comfy seat I think that bike would be just about the perfect bike in the world. More then plenty power for anyone on a street, great ergos, and handles well.

I will never own a race replica. I just don't need that kind of power, even the 600s now are too crazy for my tastes. And if I wanted an awesome canyon carver, street hooligan bike, I would get a motard and blow away most the bikes except in a straight away. Probably blow them away then too because they are probably too busy doing a wheelie in a t-shirt, shorts, and flips flops.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2005, 08:16 AM   #62
dsouthard
Registered Member

Default Re: Great topic!

I own an XB9R, but I've ridden the XB9S which became the CityX. So, yeah, I'm familiar with the geometry.

Note that I'm not necessarily suggesting that the CityX (or any Buell) is the penultimate street design, lacking only ABS to make it perfect.
What I was trying to say was that the "perfect" street bike would be designed with some of the same trade-offs (sport-bike steering coupled to an upright seating posture and a low maintenance engine with a flatter torque curve).

On ABS, I'll defer to Yossef's K1200 review. I practice
panic stops (and panic stoppies) myself. Most
of us think we can stop faster without ABS. Many
of us probably can on oil-free, debris-free, tracks. A
few of us (Sean) probably can under most street
conditions. But there are those once-a-year events
on poor roads, in the rain, when ABS isn't such a bad idea
after all.
dsouthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:20 AM   #63
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

Default Re: Are modern sportbikes engineered too close to the edge?

Try a Bandit 1200S. Inexpensive to buy, easy to maintain, bullet-proof engine, tons of lazy torque and can do just about everything well.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #64
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Are modern sportbikes engineered too close to the edge?

I gladly concede your point about parts availability on 20 year old Japanese bikes vs Beemers. And there are many Japanese bikes that are a cast iron bytch to work on as weel. But there are others that are a breeze.

However I don't buy the opinion that Beemers are any more durable than any number of Japanese bikes any more. As someone else here noted a while back. BMWs are extremely reliable.... for 60's motorcycles.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:36 AM   #65
seruzawa
The Toad

Default off topic

Well, SBP? did you find out where the UTSBA meeting is being held tonight?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #66
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: off topic

Yes and i send the address through your MO mail. But here it is again:

Famous Dave's BBQ

1166 e. Fort Union Blvd.

Midvale, UT 84047

Take I-215(south end) at Fort Union exit, head south. Turn left at the first light that you come too. Turn right into Famous Dave's parking lot.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:45 AM   #67
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Too close to the edge?

Thanks for the correction and the endorsement on aluminum's shortcomings.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:54 AM   #68
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Old farts?

Personally I'm down to a choice of two for my next bike. Either a VFR or a Ducati ST3. I'm 54 and want something reliable, comfortable, and that handles. The VFR does have an aluminum frame, but a smooth as glass engine. I am a little worried about the wonky valve system on the Honda. I don't consider Ducati's valve system wonky since I have mucho experience with them. Also I know 20+ year old Ducatis that are still on the street.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:59 AM   #69
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: off topic

I only live a couple of miles away from there. What time?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #70
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Old farts?

2006 VFR maybe worth the wait. I wouldn't worry about the '98-01 though. $5500 buys you a 6000 mile bike that is clean here in N. CA.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote