Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 06-02-2005, 06:14 AM   #51
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Are modern sportbikes engineered too close to the edge?

I have no doubt that most modern water cooled bikes will go over 100,000 freeway miles, but my old GS has seen thousands of miles of rutted, washboard, dirt roads, and cow trails. Outside of breaking off the occasional rear turn siganl it has performed flawlessly. Have you ever tried to adjust the shim and bucket valves on a 16 valve DOHC engine? Will there still be parts readily available when it's twenty years old?
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2005, 06:59 AM   #52
gforces
Founding Member

I think that all depends upon how many are still floating around out there twenty years from now. I can still get just about any part I want to build my 88 hawk (read: 17 years old) gt from the ground up.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:23 AM   #53
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Where are Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein on this one?

Sounds like a job for some hard hitting motorcycle journalists?
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #54
oldtim
Founding Member

I agree that it is the consumer that must make a reasonable and responsible choice. Liter class sport bikes are way too fast for the street and too fast for 90% of the people who ride them. But the manufacturer's responsibility is to make a motorcycle that doesn't break or have some horrendous handling defect etc. It is not the manufacturer's responsibility when some squid kills himself on a bike that is way, way over his head. In the words of that great American, Dirty Harry: "A man's got to know his limitations."
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:51 AM   #55
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Fatigue Limit

Funny thing about the difference between steel and aluminum. Steel has a stress level called the fatigue limit. Basically, if you keep the stresses below that limit, the steel will never fail from fatigue. For stresses higher than the fatigue limit the structure has a known number of cycles to failure. Aluminum does not have a fatigue limit. It will eventually fail. Airplanes are systematically replaced, part by part, over their lives, and are eventually retired from service. NASA's "vomit comet" underwent unusually high stresses for a large number of cycyles, and had to be recently retired despite being relatively young for an airframe.

For street duty, most of us will be able to ride our bikes for many many miles without ever having to worry about this. In high stress applications, such as racing, you'll hit the wall much sooner in your aluminum framed bike.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:02 AM   #56
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I, for one, happen to like this bike a lot as did the majority of our testers in both the 04 and 05 shootouts.

-martin
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #57
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Don't Forget Sport Ute's

This situation reminds me of the public's taste for sport utility vehicles. In response to customer demand for taller and taller vehicles, the manufacturers went to the edge of vehicle stability, and perhaps beyond, in their designs. I've seen two rolled sport utes in the past week. The buying public rarely considers the engineering tradeoffs required in vehicle design. Customers want what they want, and get pissed when reality conflicts with their fantasy world.

It would appear high performance motorcycles have taken the same course. Some customers demand the bike that will get around the track the most quickly without considering durability or maintability.

That said, I'm still for freedom of choice. Let the people who make poor choices learn from their mistakes. I'll drag along a couple of hardware generations behind and benefit from the pain of those who insist on being on the bleeding edge of technology.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:13 AM   #58
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Great topic!

Have you ever ridden a CityX?

There's no comparison as to seating position on the CityX and any supersport... the CityX is an upright standard posture, almost like riding a dual sport. Not a bike for all day rides but that's the lack of wind protection, nothing to do with ergos.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:49 AM   #59
pplassm
Founding Member

Are parts really cheap for those Triumphs?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #60
Tigercub
Founding Member

I'm on the bad side of 50 too - only just. A keeper huh? I'd try to find a way to buy a new Sportster. They have rubber-mounted engines and should be fairly smooth. The 1200 can be made quicker than the stock twin-cam. They'll last forever.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote