Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Godzilla (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/godzilla/)
-   -   Are modern sportbikes engineered too close to the edge? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/godzilla/2818-modern-sportbikes-engineered-too-close-edge.html)

seruzawa 06-01-2005 05:07 PM

Re: Are modern sportbikes engineered too close to the edge?

Well, mscuddy is still riding a 24 year old KZ750 that was the 750 shootout winner at that time. Not too bad, I'd say.

As a comparison my friend's '78 R100S, with about 70K on it, just blew it's rear hub. Not too good a showing there.

dtlaine 06-01-2005 05:15 PM

Re: Too close to the edge?

In reality, many of the sport bikes are crashed before they have the chance to break.

yoavy11 06-01-2005 05:26 PM

Re: Great topic!

I think he was reffering to the pre-03 zx-6r and the one-piece-seat cbr600F4i. Both are very reliable(unlike what I heard about buells), with great riding positions.

I don't know anything about "legal speeds" but when compared to all the boxes around, they have one hell of roll-on accelaration(just keep them above 5k RPM, it's easy when your red line is 14k).

I test any bike I ride about it's panic stop capabilities every chance I get(lab conditions), before I'll actully need it, trust me it works.

Did you actually ride the CityX?

Both these bikes will do twice the daily milage the X would, with half the pain.

rmdower 06-01-2005 05:40 PM

No...dont care if one breaks once in a while and they are not as durable as a government issue Humvee. Its a toy. An expensive toys and toys break...As long as no one gets hurt. Break it and buy a new one. For heaven's sake, get them out to the tracks guys!!!!!

I want my litttle green monster machine! More commonly called the 2005 Kawi ZX6R. What a neat shiny new toy.

Go engineers!!

yoavy11 06-01-2005 05:47 PM

A neighbor of mine is the only owner of a 1987 GSXR750 with 97,500 miles. Replaced 2 clutches, 3 batteries and a rusted gas tank, beside the regular chains, sprockets, pads, filters, gaskets, ......................(maintained full history+reciepts!!!!)

The engine and transmision are as good as they ever where.

jungkvist 06-01-2005 05:49 PM

It's a Keeper

"keep making it lighter until it falls down, then back off a notch."

I love it! That one's right up-there with, everything you need to know about being a plumber..."Sh!t flows down hill, never stick you fingers in your mouth and payday's on Thursday."

BTW: The 4th biggest lie is..."If you are ever unfaithful, please tell me - I'll forgive you."

Fenton 06-01-2005 06:08 PM

I've got one of those, its a king serta.

dean_1 06-01-2005 06:11 PM

Interesting thread. I'm 55 and in the market for what I plan to be my last bike. I figure I'll average 2 or 3 thousand miles a year so I'm looking for reliability, maintenance and parts availabilty over a maximum of 20 years. This pretty much eliminates everything but Harley and BMW but I only want to spend about half of what these cost which leads me to Japanese bikes. If this is not resolved soon my entire bike fund will be lost to an assortment of lap dancers as I struggle to resolve this quandry.

My experience is that the most reliable bikes are essentially vibration free (Honda V four), powerful, have a minimum amount of plastic (including fairings) and require no modification.

Steel cradle frames are good.

Bad suspension is bad.

A large round headlight is still the best.

I can't believe a loud dual note horn is not the industry standard.

God I sound old.

saaz 06-01-2005 06:55 PM

If bikes are marketed as race winners, then I suppose you should expect that they will require race like maintenance. Perhaps people don't realise this, or such bikes are just disposable fashion items these days.

If you want bikes that last with no problems, there are a few out there. ST1100s are known for going a few 100,000 very easily with minimal maintenance. They are overbuilt and heavier, just depends on what you want.

If you only do 2 to 3,000 per year, buy any modern bikes. I do that in a month or so.

ikonoklass 06-01-2005 07:27 PM

It's funny that Triumph's Daytona 955, which is now about 3 generations behind its Japanese competition, will soon be the only liter-class sportbike that's rideable by someone more than 5'8" and over 30 years of age. Wait until your competition makes bikes no one can ride for more than half an hour, then sell your obsolete stuff! Brilliant strategy!