Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 06-03-2005, 05:27 AM   #91
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: I know a Geezer...

Deja vu? BTW Gabe my bike has never been to a mechanic, as it do all of the service and repairs on it myself. Outside of a couple of rear turn signal stalks (broken form the fatigue of many miles of bad dirt roads), I have only had to replace a cracked armature on the alternator, if you don't count the various after market parts I put on the bike when it was new.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2005, 05:57 AM   #92
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: er, you mean the ZR7

No, I meant my hopped-up '81 KZ750e that is darn near indestructable. Lord knows I've tried!

The only things that wears out are tires, chains and brake pads.

I imagine the new stuff is pretty good too...
Old 06-03-2005, 06:49 AM   #93
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Are modern sportbikes engineered too close to the edge?

Yeah, the Sporty's always been my favorite Harley. I just wish they came set-up for radial sport/sport-touring rubber, instead of cruiser tires.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:14 AM   #94
bross
Registered Member

Default Re: I know a Geezer...

The underlying clue here about *any* bike lasting and gaining a reliable reputation, is one owner, probably owner serviced bikes. There are so many bikes that just get put away in the fall with no storage prep etc., they look real nice but are now junk after only a few years of this kind of treatment.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #95
sarnali
Founding Member

The Roadster comes with cast alloy rims and tubeless tires. I assume you'd be able to get something decent to fit on there.

The '78 XLH I had was set up as I described plus flat bars and drag pipes and was about the most fun I've had with my drawers on. The new 1200 has got to be all that and more.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:36 AM   #96
brummerc
Registered Member

It is true that sports bikes are getting closer and closer to the edge, however, we have greater variety in bikes than ever before. Sports bikes are at the forefront of engineering but if you don't like them, don't buy them.

You can choose from cruisers (not sure why) to fantastic naked bikes (KTM Superduke), sports tourers etc.

Personally, I can only afford 1 bike so it needs to serve several purposes. This precludes me from owning a all out sports bike, but I applaud the engineers for churning better ones out every year
brummerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #97
bross
Registered Member

Default Re: Don't Forget Sport Ute's

I agree with what you guys are saying about SUV's and that they're not good as 4x4's. I used to own 4x4 trucks that I used to thrash in my youth. Some SUVs do serve a purpose though. We live in northern Canada and have winter pretty much 6 months a year. When it was time to trade in my wifes Subaru, she wanted an SUV. That thing is amazing, with it's ABS, traction control, and some other thing it does in the snow. I used to be able to at least drift the Subaru around corners for fun, but this thing just turns and goes where you point it no matter how much you're on the gas, snow or not. It's kinda eery how it sticks to the road. Anyway we feel it's a safer car for my wife to drive but no we don't really use it off-road either, but it wasn't designed for that. I have driven through a few ditches and driven a few fire roads while camping but I sure wouldn't call it off-roading, that's what the dirt bikes are for!
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:41 AM   #98
Steve781
Founding Member

I would suggest that the people who are buying the vehicles do think they are good for something; SUV's give the driver a commanding seating position and a feeling of size and importance on the road (although this may be the driver's impression only, unrelated to fact). People like to feel big and important, and a big car with a view from on high feeds that desire. The SUV buyers are making their choice based on those perceived benefits, squids make their choice based on race track performance in the hands of experts.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #99
engrdick
Registered Member

I have both bikes mentioned in the thread - 97 VFR and 2004 Sportster Custom.

I gotta tell ya the Sporty surprised me. I got it for my wife (she bought me a 03 Duece) thinking it'd be a good first bike (and she had to have a Harley). It is great for her, but man, is it fun for me.

It is smooth and it is an absolute blast to ride quick. I do recommend pipes (Stage 1 set-up) - runs much better than stock- and a good aftermarket seat helps the ride a bit.

engrdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:02 PM   #100
rmdower
Founding Member

They do make nice moving movie theater/arcades/mobile entertainment vehicles. Keeps the kids quiet. Dont have kids or a SUV. Only got a truck, and that is only used when I cant ride, or need to give one of my bikes a ride.
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote