Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 01-08-2004, 05:28 AM   #1
whodat
Founding Member

Default Re: The Great Biker Build-Off : Billy Lane vs. Dave Perewitz

Well, due to my bike I see it from both sides. I've got a Magna, which is a sportbike engine in a standard frame with cruiser looks. I personally liked Dave's bike better, but I also thought that Billy Lane's bike showed more craftsmanship. On the other hand, a great artist using all his skill to paint an ugly picture doesn't change the fact that it's an ugly picture, just makes it well done. Any contest of this sort is going to be way subjective, and the audience voting has to be taken into account. If it was a sportbike crowd, likely the more rideable bike would have won.

whodat

whodat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2004, 05:48 AM   #2
JLWarrior
Registered Member

I know that it's a cliche, but if you can't look at both of those bikes and see which has more ingenuity, originality and style, then "if you have to ask, you won't understand".

Perewitz is a great painter, but he is not a great bike designer and builder. Chopper building is all about pushing the limits, but of style instead of performance. Billy Lanes bikes consistently push those limits, which is why, to me, he is the best of the nationally known chopper builders around right now.
JLWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:52 AM   #3
Hipshot
Registered Member

Yeah, all right, I'm a Harley guy, but I thought the voting sucked. Lane's got some original ideas, but his construction techniques and finishing is total puke. Dave is a consumate pro. His machines are original, look good, run good, and last. Did you check out the crowd that voted? They all looked like Lane clones. Perewitz looks like a typical business man and everyone's father. The Lane lookalikes are probably still in adolescent authority rejection.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 06:18 AM   #4
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Default had more interest then I.

Sportbike_pilot you had more interest in this then I. I've tried to watch these bike build offs shows, American Thunder, CorbinÂ’s Ride-On, just to name a few, usually I last about 5 minutes and find myself asking this question; is this about motorcycles or posing and how did it get to this point that reasonable and intelligent people spend great gobs of money and time obtaining these machines that are built to go backward in handling, performance, riding position and functionality...
Old 01-08-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
Tigercub
Founding Member

I've been studying this show American Choppers with Walrus dad and goofball sons and as Pauli might say, basically I think I understand how this is going to work.

First you need to set up shop next to a scrap metal yard that's full of soft weldable steel. You need a reliable frame manufacturer, wheel builder, painter, plater and several parts catalogs, one of which needs to be S&S. Then you just grab some metal pound, cut and weld a shape out of it and then weld it on the frame. The plater and painter will smooth it all out and make it shine. It hardly seems to matter how it actually looks as long as the front end is three feet over, the rake is 40 degrees and it has a huge rear tire. If it weighs 800 lbs can't, corner to save your life and bounces down the freeway like a pogo stick you're in the ball park! There seems to always be someone willing to part with a huge wad of cash to buy it and you could be on TV!

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:03 AM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

When are they going to have a biker build off where the participants build custom sportbikes (like the Tularis.....http://www.cycleshark.com/Project_Tu...t_tularis.html) and see how they stack up to one another on the ractrack? Something to actually pit engineering skills against each other to make something work better instead of who can fab up the most improbable thing that still has two wheels and can drive down the road?
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:13 AM   #7
leach7
Registered Member

This show had nothing to do with the "cruiser scene", it was all about building a "cool looking" bike. I personally don't care how these bikes handle because even if I wanted one, there is no way I'm shelling out 40 grand or more for a bike.
leach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:59 AM   #8
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I tend to glaze over when watching this stuff. I personally don't see the apeal of an ill handling lousy suspensioned bike, but to each his own.

If I was to spend 40 large on a bike I'd get my remeedial metal shop skills up to speed and do the work myself.

On a similar note, does anyone out there remember a story in Sport Rider (I think) afew years ago about an engineering student who built a carbon/carbon fiber motorcycle for his senior project. Now that was a project, frame, bodywork, wheels. All hand built, put a used kawi 1000 motor in it I think. Anyone Mo'Fo's have any follow up on that?
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:06 AM   #9
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Could not have said it better myself.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:34 AM   #10
runner00
Founding Member

I enjoyed it. Certainly more than the psuedo squid

comments found here !