Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 01-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #31
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

Default All right, I'm way the hell down here...

Still, I gotta add my two cents...

I thought in both cases that Billy Lane's bikes just looked cooler, end of story. Granted, seeing Roger Bourget just pull stuff off his shelves to make a bike didn't really do it for me either, but generally I think Choppers, Inc. do some pretty original stuff, never looking like some tarted-up Big Dog or Titan, ya know?

All this big dollar stuff isn't really where it's at for me though. When I want to see innovative chops without the huge budgets I look at stuff like Chopper Underground (www.chopperunderground.com) and Fly-Rite choppers (www.flyritechoppers.com).

XS650 chops, CB750 chops, Triumph chops, that's what makes me smile. These guys get almost no recognition yet they're creating art with no cash and scrap materials. Flyrite uses Revtech stuff but who can argue with a sweetass bobber for under $13k fully loaded?

I dig on sportbikes and even jacked-up-in-the-ass streetfighters (a 'Busa with Renthals? Hell yeah!) but if it's gotta be chops, gimme the underground, gimme jap chops, brit chops, hell take a Hyosung and rake it out, just make it look different!

All right, time for another beer.

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2004, 01:51 PM   #32
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Who really hates me.

Not everyone hates me! The only folks that hate me are:
[*]Right-wing Rush loving bigots
[*]Members of the gray pony tailed Harley botherhood
[*]War mongering folks who have never been to war and would not let there sons and daughters join the military.
[*]Health insurance salesmen
[*]Lastly folks who ignore these facts: There were no WMD found in Iraq. The 9/11 terrorists came from Saudi Arabia not Iraq. The budget deficit is out of control. The U.S. is losing manufacturing and high tech jobs at a record rate

Does the shoe fit Buz?????
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #33
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Who really hates me.

The good old days
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:10 PM   #34
applewhitejm
Founding Member

Default Re: The Great Biker Build-Off : Billy Lane vs. Dave Perewitz

I have no desire for a chopper but I enjoy these shows and the bikes nevertheless. The plot of this one was the sedate methodical regular guy with his measuring tape vs. the wild and crazy seat of the pants artist and the wild man won. Face it, not all pushing-the-envelope creations work that great. Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater almost fell in the water and the roof of the Johnson Wax building leaked. That doesn't necessarily mean those buildings should be less important than others that were less daring and maybe worked a little better.

One thing is undeniable about these chopper shows - they get a lot of people to go to motorcycle shows, which is a good thing I assume.
applewhitejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #35
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

Default Hey, Buzz

how do you set off an oblivious, narcissistic sloganeer? Oh. Never mind.
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:58 AM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey, Buzz

LOL!

You forgot to mention the obsessive compulsive disorder and paranoia.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:05 AM   #37
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

You raise a valid point and cited compelling examples. But I differ with you in your characterization of an "artistic" as "wild and crazy seat of the pants."

I know quite a few artists. Work with many of them professionally in my recording studio. Most real artists are incredibly meticulous no matter what the medium. You can rest assured that even the most obtuse piece of art by any legitimate artist was the product of a great deal of thought and sweat. What you see as the end product may appear to be the result of a near spontaneous creative process but it is very likely just the opposite. Even Mozart had to work out some kinks in music that to all of the world seems to have been born whole in great bursts of creativity. It just don't work that a way.

To me Dave Perewitz fits the mold of a FLW more than Billy Lane -- who strikes me as the kind of guy who might spray pain a boat anchor and try to pass it off as art if the thought he could get away with it. Ill-conceived designs and poor quality are not the same as expanding boundaries of design., IMHO.

Regards

spb
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 04:54 PM   #38
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: All right, I'm way the hell down here...

I'm with ya, I remember back in the 70's with all the old chopped out inline 4's and parallel twins. Lurking in the back of my mind is a salvaged speed triple plant shined up and chopped out...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:31 AM   #39
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Hey, Buzz

I have new socks on!
Old 01-13-2004, 10:16 AM   #40
ekimtoor
Founding Member

nope, my opinion is beside the point. choppers are just plain dumb.
ekimtoor is offline   Reply With Quote