Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 01-08-2004, 10:09 AM   #11
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Not sure what that Tularis is but...

You just did a fine job of describing GP racing, Abe. Everything else is just fluff.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #12
wrecks
Founding Member

Default How very true

Every bike has the same hulking frame, probably same revtech motor, and they always end up having to make cutouts in the frame all over the place to make everything fit. Total garbage. I bet that Mikey's bike weighed half a ton. It took two guys to lift and move his BACK FENDER. What are they using? 1/4 inch steel?
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:30 AM   #13
polishnightmare
Founding Member

Default Re: The Great Biker Build-Off : Billy Lane vs. Dave Perewitz

I agree with Billy Lane stuff. How about Indian Larry though. His stuff is old school, and says he wants a bike that will go, stop and handle. Defentiely doesn't have the 40 degree rakes. I thought his bikes were good and I Don't remember anything going wrong with his bikes. Also riding in NY, guy has some big ones. What is your take?
polishnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:34 AM   #14
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Perewitz is amazing. He does it all and his business is a family affair. One of the best parts of the show was learning more about him and how he runs his business.

Quoting from his website:

"Perewitz bikes are meant to endure—as art, investment and a reliably powerful ride. The team of custom bike building experts at "Perewitz/Cycle Fabrications" shares the same goals as the customers: Quality, Reliability, Performance, Investment, Uniqueness, and Pride. When you cruise the streets on a Perewitz custom motorcycle (100% are street ridden and daily driven) it is beyond doubt, "ART IN MOTION". "

I saw this show back in September and this episode was my favorite until I saw the Indian Larry -vs- Billy Lane show. Indian Larry's bikes are insane.

I wouldn't want any one of them as a daily rider. I like my comfort way to much but I can still appreciate what they're building. If I had the bucks to burn I would have an Indian Larry custom in my garage. But hey, that's just me.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:50 AM   #15
bmwroadrider
Registered Member

I have been a MO member for over two years now and this is my first posting. I have only been riding for 5 years (I am 24 years old), but have had a number of different bikes, First being a 95 Sportster, next a 77 R100/7, Then an 01 R1100s. Right now I have a 75 R75/6 and a Kawi ex250 that I raced a bit. I love all bikes but for different reasons. Sportbikes are great for their functinality performance, and originality in the sense of enginering and performance. Harleys, and more importantly customs are great because many truly are original works of art. The overall look of sportbikes hasn't changed much in 15 years, maybe 20. A late 80's CBR doesn't look much different than a 2003 F4i, the same is true across the board with yamaha kawasaki and suzuki. They all basically make the same looking motocycle with updated technology. Only Ducati, Aprilia, Bmw (in there own way), and some other smaller manufacturers really do anything original. Perowitz's bike had been done 1000 times before. A red custom, with lots of chrome, a big engine and a flame job is about as unoriginal as it gets. He barely even fabricated anything just sort of built a kit bike and then put a generic, albeit complicated, paint job on it. Billy Lane's bike was hand crafted and original. he frabricated an underseat exhaust system on a chopper. I had never seen that before. He hand crafted a totally unique looking tank. His bike truly was a work of art. Another biker build off between Lane and Idian Larry featured two of the most beautiful bikes I had ever seen, and totally original. I am as sick and tired as anybody of all the Harley posers out there, with there skull cap helmets and the tassled leather jackets. Their chrome studded seats that cover their purple or green harley's. However I am also equaly tired of asthetically challenged sportbike riders that think a motorcycle has to have 100+ horsepower, and be able to carve up a canyon at 80mph. Simply having a 150 HP GSXR, with a Race replica helmet and a matching set of leathers doesn't make you cool either. More often than not it also shows that you are just a poseur.
bmwroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:16 AM   #16
ridinsince59
Founding Member

I remember that "smelly-dreadlocks-Billy" also won a "Biker Build-off" against one of Roger Bourget's awesome creations some time ago on Discovery.

You can see Bourget's awesome T6 model bike, featuring his patented Oil-in-Frame/Drop-Seat Style Chassis at:

http://www.bourgets.com/pages/diamond.html

The hairy/tatooed crowd at the build-off/ barbeque/ beerfest, somewhere in the Carolina woods, looked like the Discovery producers emptied three or four trailer parks to gather up a suitably motley crowd.

I thought the Biker Build-off was more of a "good-ole-boy" personality contest than a strictly "which is the best bike?" contest. Based on the bikes alone, Roger Bourget should have won by a landslide.

ridinsince59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:25 AM   #17
Dynaguy
Founding Member

Whether sporty bike types like it or not, the chopper is a valid part of the motorcycle world. I don't own a cruiser type bike at the present time, but I have in the past. All of the bikes featured in the "build off" displayed a lot of thought, engineering and talent. I wonder how many of the elite who have scoffed at the efforts of the builders could produce a running motorcycle, even with a complete set of instructions and parts?

If you don't enjoy this type of program, turn it off, but take your "above it all" attitude somewhere else. The folks who built and judged these bikes are just as passionate about biking as you are.
Dynaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:35 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Welcome!

So what do you think about armchaps?

Oh, and watch out for KPaul.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:43 AM   #19
MileHighMagna
Registered Member

I think they voted for Billy's bike because he looks like what the poser's wish they could look like....a hard-core, dread-locked, devil-may-care biker dude. Dave doesn't fit that mold, thus he's at a disadvantage before it even starts. Personally, I thought Dave's bike was better.
MileHighMagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:49 AM   #20
nomad76
Founding Member

Default Pros and cons

After watching that show, I have to admit I was amazed at Perewitz's skill, but found the end result pretty bland. I really wanted to like it, but the pram-style handlebars and ho-hum customization left me wanting.

Lane was almost insulting in his flagrant disregard for precision, safety and overall discipline. You watch Jesse James, he'll go on about firing the steel, to spread out the molecules and make it more malleable. Lane grabs a hammer and pounds on cold rolled steel like a damn gorilla. Who's the craftsman here? (btw, what's with Jesse James doing commercials for AutoZone?)

But in the end, Lane's bike, looked a whole hell of a lot cooler. I found myself looking at it and thinking, "It looks a lot better." Maybe if Perewitz painted Lane's bike, we woulda had a good show.

And did anybody see the Bourget vs. Lane or Paul Yaffe vs. Indian Larry ones? Those felt like crimes against nature, too. The Bourget show was like Perewitz, high- vs. low-tech, and Yaffe had a sweet bike, but Indian Larry's awesome paint job and old-school looks went up against what was basically a Yaffe custom off the shelf.

Now if they had a biker-build off with streetfighters, that would be cool.
nomad76 is offline   Reply With Quote