Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 03-15-2003, 06:09 AM   #1
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Book Reviews

Great reviews, Jaycar.

As someone who prefers to read about, and talk about, motorcycles and motorcycling in the context of the world around us, rather than in the abstract, I was intrigued that all three books you reviewed fit that criterion.

I have long been an admirer of Peter Egan's work, and his columns are the primary reason I read Cycle World and Road & Track. For some time, I had been hinting to my family that Leanings would make a great gift for me, but since Christmas, my wedding aniversary and my birthday have come and gone without their getting the hint, I guess I need to break out my Visa card and pick up the phone.

I had read an article about Neil Peart and Ghostrider in one on the print magazines and had made a mental note to check it out as well. I had never paid particular attention to the music of Rush, and would not have know Neil if he sat next to me at the bar, but the story, and the exerpts from the book I saw did intrigue me.

I had seen adverts for Investment Biker but had not heard anything about it, so there was nothing to seperate it from any number of motorcycle adventure tales that have been published. In my opinion, such a story needs to be much more than a description of the challanges encountered, on-road emergenty repairs etc -- it should provide meaningful insight and perspective about the people and lands through which the adventurer has passed. Sounds like this one may do that.

Anyway, thanks. We are in a blizzard here this morning, and it will be awhile before I can count on much riding, and a couple of good books can make that wait bearable.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2003, 12:28 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I've got Outlaw Biker by Brock Yates. It's his take on the whole H-D "buy an image" thing. It's a pretty good read with a few inaccuracies to weed through. But hey, it's snowing up there right?

Want me to mail it to you?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
hondabill
Founding Member

Jaycar,

I have to concur with your first two book reviews. I haven't read or heard of Investment Biker before so I cannot comment on it.

Leanings by Peter Egan was a birthday present I received last fall. It is a terrific read, even if you may have read some of it in Cycle World magazines of the past. Mr. Egan just has a way with words that he can just say exactly what many of us think, but cannot write down.

I recently picked up Ghost Rider by Neil Peart from my local bookstore. I was a casual Rush fan years ago but had not followed them in the last 10 years or so. I didn't have any idea about the tragic events that spawned Mr. Peart's travels. I am about 1/3 of the way through this book, and I must say, it is a great book.

I recommend both of these books to any and all motorcylists and Ghost Rider to non-motorcycists, as well.

Bill
hondabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:06 AM   #4
xlr8r
Founding Member

Try 'Running With The Moon' by Jonny Bealby. It's about a guy devastated by the unexpected death of his girlfriend who decides to take a Yamaha trailbike from one end of Africa to the other to find himself and restore meaning to his life. He does that, and finds new love, too. It really shows you how raw and undeveloped most of Africa is. It's very touching, very informative, and occasionally very funny, as with the bit where he's digging his bike out of a mudhole and finds a gorilla is watching him with interest.

Bike interest: 9

General interest: 8

Never Knew That factor: 8
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 03:29 AM   #5
sarnali
Founding Member

Try "Superbikes of the '70's" by Roland Brown, all kinds of neat bikes that I lusted after as a tad, good selection of makes and models, and all are ridden and discribed by Brown, If you read any of the major print mags you've seen his work and evaluations already, I think the book was reviewed by MO in November of last year. It's a good read that chronicals the rise of the UJM and Europe's response, great for getting through the last 3 weeks of almost solid rain.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote