Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 11-21-2002, 11:54 AM   #1
elitegeezer
Founding Member

Default one Environment. why burn it?

I figure that given the current performance of motorcycles we can probably afford to stick a cat on road bikes. Bollocks to the cost.

They do it in cali for lots of bikes now, and it makes a lot of sense.

Now all we need to do is get them to force the same standard on SUVs.
elitegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2002, 12:41 PM   #2
Weezel
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA takes the Detroit Line on Emissions

Yeah, well the AMA occasionally says the right thing, but they're no diferent from the carmakers on this, as the title implies. The current California bikes work fine, they're priced fine, and none of the disasters the AMA talks about have occurred. These proposed emissions standards can easily be met with existing technology without harming anyone.

Of course they should be making the SUV's and trucks and cars and DIESEL trucks comply with stricter rules as well. Scoots should be held to the same standard. Why not? It's everybody's air.

And enough with whining about how much bikes harm the air vs. SUV's, ATV's, cars, lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. Almost all these things can be cleaned up without the drastic consequences everyone predicts. Our air and water is a hell of a lot cleaner since the first Clean Air and Water Act, and I don't see any manufacturers who went belly up from the burdensome costs of emissions cleanup.

This really pisses me off!! It's a no-brainer except for people without brains.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:52 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

I don't see any manufacturers who went belly up from the burdensome costs of emissions cleanup.

Naturally since, in reality, it is you the consumer who ultimately pays for everything. All costs are passed on to you.

Old 11-21-2002, 12:55 PM   #4
Grover
Founding Member

The only thing about all this that really busts my chops is that this is a classic example of targeting the "little guy"

We all know that if everyone rode motorcycles we'd burn less fuel, have less pollution, less traffic hassles, blah blah blah.

Unfortunately the big automakers bring with them the big lobbying bucks, which means SUV's are allowed to pollute in larger quantities than just about every other vehicle on the road because that's where the big money resides.

It's like trying to move an entire pile of rocks by concentrating on the pebbles (which are easy to move/regulate), rather than getting the boulders out of the way (more difficult to move/regulate). It's all terribly frustrating.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:05 PM   #5
12er
Founding Member

That we sure do. The price was passed on to me with my Cat equiped BMW. Still lays down over 100 hp to the pavement, no complaints here...

Ive been on the fence as far as joining the AMA, rallying for more brown air isnt going to get my support I must admit.

Bring on the Fuel Cell bikes!!! Talk about smooth, no need for a counter balancer. Once we go to electric motors what is the twin vs. triple vs. 4 banger crowds going to argue about?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:05 PM   #6
dirtyd
Founding Member

well when you're ready to picks up a gun and statrts shootin whitey i'm with ya, but till then you gots to maintain brotha.
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:08 PM   #7
12er
Founding Member

Big Money, its the American way!
Old 11-21-2002, 01:16 PM   #8
12er
Founding Member

Wow, I just visualized how quiet things would be if we were fully converted to fuel cells. What would the Harley crowd do? Tape industrial strenth playing cards in the spokes?
Old 11-21-2002, 01:35 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

That's the way it's always been, my friend.

Too bad that every other system of government is worse.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:56 PM   #10
flying_hun
Founding Member

Uh, you might want to re-take some of those college economics courses. It doesn't exactly work that way. Some costs do, others don't, it depends. After all, the market clearing price is the price where demand and supply meet. You know, price elasticity of demand (and supply), and all that.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote